Barn Find on e-bay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Barn Find on e-bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:12 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121753751795?rmvSB=true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:27 am:

The casting date has me thinking 1916 conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Looks like a nice car. The cowl is notched which is a feature of the 1917 black radiator cars I believe.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:46 am:

It will be a nice car for someone. Restored or as is. The pictures are fun to see. Hope they do well with it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Top bows are later too. I would call it an older restoration that has been stored poorly. All the upholstery is non original. As Ken mentioned the cowl looks to be black radiator era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:40 am:

A 1916 engine in a 1915 Model T means there's a story here, somewhere. _It's either a conversion like Steve says or somebody burned through the original engine in record time and needed a replacement, or a '16 engine got overhauled and used to replace the original at a much later date, or this car is one of the early '16s that were manufactured with brass trim left over from the previous model year. _The possibilities are endless. _

Other than the engine, to my uneducated newbie eye, the car looks fairly original, but is that really such a big deal? _The '15s and '16s are the least rare and least valuable Brass-Era cars in the world, so historical authenticity isn't as important as would be the case with, say, a 1910 Ford. _This is the legendary, rare-as-hens'-teeth, intact brass barn-find that every car nut dreams about and she's just begging to be put back on the road by the kind of horseless-carriage enthusiast who can't afford a Pierce-Arrow. _Somebody is going to make a great score here and probably at a bargain basement price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Yes, and the rear fenders are from the black era as well. But the front fenders are 4-rivet ones, which came on "early" 15's and/or "late" 14's.

The engine could have been replaced, and without an original vin no one knows its birth date.

As mentioned, the leather seat upholstery says "restoration," as does the varnished steering wheel rim. It would be a great one to restore; there's not that much wrong with it. As far as preserving it as an original car is concerned, I think it is past that opportunity.

If I were looking for a Touring Car instead of a Runabout, I'd give the car some serious consideration. Hey, it's in Texas, and the seller's name is Buck. Who could argue with that? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

A wash job, a gallon of gas and an oil change would do wonders for the chance of the bids going higher and higher.
Can't a video be inserted in an eBay ad? I have never seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Nice car! Definitely an old restoration, not well maintained. But it looks like it would clean up nicely. The photos are not clear enough to see many of the details to debate the exact time frames for many of the parts. Clearly, though, it is not totally correct. It likely is a late '16 or later car that has been back altered. That was done a lot in the '50s and '60s. I recall being told that all brass cars were '15s (or earlier) and that '16s were black radiator. It didn't take very long for me to figure out that there was a lot of misinformation out there. Been fighting that ever since.
If that car were mine? (Just dreaming for me anymore) As much as I would wish for it to be HCCA? I would make it the most correct July '16 last brass touring I could. Crowned rear fenders and all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration