Clutch adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

My 26 is plagued with an agressive engagement of the clutch. It seems that it is almost impossible to have a smooth transition from low to high.
Back off the throttle,..slowly ease the pedal back...then Wham, high gear is engaged. I have the turbo 400 clutch plates installed and have followed the instructions for the low gear pedal set up. Are there any other adjustments that will help to tone things down a bit ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

How much in-out play on the low pedal is there when running in high?

That is when rolling down the road in high, lever forward, close the throttle, and push in briefly on low pedal. There needs to be a good bit of 'free neutral' before low band engages the low speed drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

One possibility is that your high gear clutch fingers may be adjusted too tight.

If you have a service manual (if you don't, get one!), look at the section on adjusting the high gear clutch fingers. You will see them after you remove floorboards and the transmission inspection cover.

Make sure that the key is out of ignition so that it can't fall into the transmission when the cover is off!

One at a time, remove the cotter pin, loosen the adjustment 1/2 turn, install a new cotter pin, then rotate the engine until you can reach the next finger. Repeat for a total of three fingers.

Adjust each one the same, only 1/2 turn at a time!

Tie thread or dental floss to the cotter pins before removal and installation so that you don't drop a cotter pin into the transmission!

Test drive the car after each 1/2 turn adjustment to make sure that the high clutch engages smoothly without any slippage once fully engaged.

If you decide to tackle it, let us know how it goes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I do have a transmission manual, although it has been eight years since I rebuilt the unit, seems like ancient history now.
I will tackle this tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the tips.

Dave Eddie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

In an early manual it says to rapidly engage into high gear. When I get my 26 rolling in first gear I dump it into high as the manual says. This prevents excessive slipping and wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I went through the clutch finger adjustment and backed off each one a half turn,...didn't seem to make much difference other than the clutch engages in a different position when releasing the pedal.
I am wondering if somehow when I assembled the transmission I didn't get the three release fingers adjusted concentric. The thinking here is if the release plate is at an angle it would cause one area of the clutch plate surface to contact first? Don't know if this can be redone in the car or not?

I have about an inch of freeplay at the pedal when in high gear,..it feels like it could use a bit more, but i don't think that should cause the clutch to chatter?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Dave -- Yes, you can adjust the clutch evenly in the car. Use a tool like this to get the spacing correct:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3339.aspx

You want to get the spacing at 13/16". You can buy this tool or make a similar one. Be very careful not to drop anything (cotter pins, etc.) into the transmission, since there is no access to get things out the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Dave

Would also recheck the free neutral. You mentioned the low pedal moves an inch, that is rather tight.

Check the free neutral, you may have to lengthen the clevis 'L'.

The low pedal should jump forward 1 3/4" to 2" when the hand lever is pulled.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration