Valve adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john aquina on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

I am trying to adjust the valves on my engine. I put a feeler gauge in one of the valves(.015) and it was swimming!. I tried turning the nut, but it did not help. It seemed like the valve guide was spinning. It has one flat side, but I don't have room to get a wrench on it. I bought this from a guy that said it was completely rebuilt. It has never run. Any suggestions?
john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

My TT's were like that, I had to turn the engine over until it pushed the valve up and then adjust, took several tries. On mine past owner had put adjustable valves, but did not machine the block. So the adjusters would go down into the hole and you could not git to them. It was a pain, but I got it, good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Turn the engine over with the hand crank until the lifter is raised. You may need to use two thin wrenches. In the raised position you will be able turn the bolt in the tappet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

ya, those can be a pain in the
As stated before, turn the engine with the crank until the lifter is all the way up.
Then hold the lifter with one wrench while you turn the top nut up with another. Turn it about one flat, then turn the engine until the lifter is all the way down and recheck the clearance.
I would shoot for about .010". .012" would be ok too. .015 will probably be noisy.
You can tell when the lifter is all the way down by watching for its opposite lifter to be all the way up.
It's a nasty job, but somebody has to do it.
At least you won't have to take the valve out and get a longer one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Take a measurement now and as others said turn the motor raise the .inter adjust one turn crank back till its free measure yep read pain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Each flat of the bolt = about .006. Turn so the next flat come around and you will have opened or closed the gap by about .006. If you need to go .003 just turn the bolt 1/2 a flat. ETC

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration