In Wichita, Winfield, Ponca City, Enid ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: In Wichita, Winfield, Ponca City, Enid ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

... or anyplace else within an hour of two of Arkansas City, anyone have a junk rear axle housing for little or nothing? All I need is a straight tube with places for sleeves and bearings. Busted pumpkin and/or wrecked backing plate is fine. Left or right doesn't matter. I have a few decent ones, but I don't want to use them for this project. No new ones are being made, and I don't want to cut up one that could possibly be used in a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

jack stands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Steve -- If you're wanting that to make a rig for painting your wheels, you don't need to go to nearly that much trouble. I wired an old axle to an outfeed roller from my wood shop. A stepladder would work as well. The axle stays put, and the wheel turns on it.

rig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Henry and God wouldn't like that.
Now if you take an old tub and fill it 3/4 with water, pour some Japan black on top off the water, drop the wheels each into the water through the japan black and pull them out
never mind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Uh-oh, I've created a monster with that God and Henry phrase. :-)

Mike would make a good detective. He's figured out what I had in mind. After seeing what Dan Treace posted about turning painted wheels at hundreds of RPM, I thought I'd give it a spin. I'm doing only a few wheels, so I don't think I'll bother with the vat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Stay tuned for the further adventures in wheel painting with our amiable host Mr. Thrifty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:19 am:

It doesn't need much to spin rather fast..
When I painted wire wheels a few years ago I didn't use a bearing, just an old cracked hub with some grease running on a iron bar and a pipe, stopped from falling off by a worn out angle grinder disc and some bailing wire. No Cost :-)
The pictured engine failed after only one wheel, but I found another in my pile, an old washing machine engine that was much faster - maybe it spun the wheel at hundreds of rpm with the bicycle rim liner, but it still worked just fine without any paint runs :-)

wheel painting

When I painted wood wheels another year in the same color I spun them slowly by hand, maybe 1 rpm - worked just as fine :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration