For sale 1914-1915 brass radiator.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: For sale 1914-1915 brass radiator.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:53 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281792450471?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m15 55.l2649

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Maybe I should have started a new thread on this but looked at the radiator and have always wondered, did that Ford script come on cars when new? Some have it and some don't. I can see how it could get lost over the years. If factory, how was it attached? I find from vendors brass wire or bolts to solder on. On the black radiator cars I guess it was nickel plated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Corey

Earlier post with some info:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/223284.html?1310666624

Factory never placed a script on the black radiators. Only on the early of the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Far as I know the ford on the core was never factory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:16 am:

O.K. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:46 am:

The "Ford" text on the core was indeed factory supplied for 1909 and 1910, discontinued in July 1910, as described in the thread Dan linked. The factory Ford text was horisontal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

I had bought this radiator early on in hopes to rebuild a model t speedster. With the little I knew at the time, I was told that it was 14-15 brass radiator. Now I am being told it was 1912? I am assuming now that it is actually a 1912-1915? If anyone can give me some more information on this would be it would very much appreciated. I would also like to revise my ebay information for buyers to know what they are purchasing. Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

The top tank does not have the Ford serial number plate. To me it looks like a reproduction radiator, not an original. If it says "Made in USA" under the Ford script on the front then it is designed to be a reproduction of 1913 - 1916. The photos are very poor, hard to tell much from them. Looks like they were shot in dim lighting conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

I think it's a repro as well. It looks as if it has had leaks repaired several times. A '14 and earlier should have a tube with a T in it to route gas to the headlamps. A '15-16 should have a tube going across for a headlight wire to go through. I don't see either of those on this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

I have an original Brass radiator on my 1914. There is a stamp near the top inside on the passenger side of the radiator saying Ford Motor Company Detroit Mich. This authenticates that it is original. If it is missing I understand the radiator is a reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick pang on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Thanks for the Info everyone. I honestly did not know I was given a repro, as I am still learning more about models t's. Can anyone tell me the value of the one I have as a repro? I'd like to correct the amount that I am selling it for on eBay. Thanks!

Derrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:51 am:

The repo's I have do have the stamp on the top tank, one is pressed in the sheet and the other, a brassworks one is a plate, an original Canadian one I have, has 5 numbers hammered in the pressed plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 03:56 am:

WHAT!!! A seller that actually cares whether or not his information is correct???
Very refreshing. Thank you.

Seriously. The problem with reproduction radiators is that over the years, there have been so many different ones. Fred Stiver made some of the best ones ever back in the 1960s. I wish I knew how to identify his because I would love to have one. I knew Fred over 40 years ago. Another old friend who happens to also live in Grass Valley now used to build good brass radiators. There were at least a dozen others back then.
Some repros have the tag/label on the back of the tank, some do not. Some that have it? It is pressed into the back piece of the tank. Others? It is made separate and soldered on.
In the early 1970s, Ford Motor Company got protective of their logos and made it very difficult for those making radiators. Many of the better builders got out of it because it was too difficult, and expensive, to make them correctly. A lot of silly, and some really bad stuff, was made to get around Ford. Then FoMoCo got a little easier. And the few (like Brass Works) that were still around got back to selling us a decent product (I am not saying any more about them).
How good a reproduction radiator is? Depends upon who built it, and when.
If I were not broke? I would be interested in the radiator you have.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick pang on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 04:17 am:

Thank you Wayne, I appreciate the info you've given me. I really have no use for this particular radiator at the moment but it is important that I know the correct information and value of it. All I can see in the back is the number "5" which im not sure really tells me anything at all. But as is, would there be a reasonable price to estimate it's value? I'm not looking to get rich off this thing, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't an original one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Too bad the new radiators aren't what they were. Overall, the look is there, but they aren't made the way Ford did it, and that is sad, because they used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Derrick, it looks to be a decent radiator. I'd put it back on Ebay without a reserve and see where it goes. Someone could use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:34 am:

For what it is worth, a bit over two years ago, at the Bakersfield swap meet, I gave (I think it was) $375 for an older reproduction radiator needing only a little minor repair. I figured it was a bargain. But it was the end of the swap day and I think they dropped the price a little to get it gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick pang on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Thanks Dylan, I'm going to take better pictures in the light and relist the radiator.

Wayne, I hope I'll bring in at least that much on it. But thanks for that number.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration