Steve has the answer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steve has the answer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:28 am:

I am putting the new motor in my 19 T and ran into a problem
that Steve talked about a few months ago but can't find the thread.

I have the two side motor mount bolts in but the front is off about an eight to a quarter inch. The motor is too short.

The original motor and first rebuilt fit OK and the new motor fit in a T frame.

Can Steve or someone tell me how He fixed the problem?

PS. I suspect that one of the ears are bent because the front was ok until I put the bolt in on top of the frame by the starter.
I don't want to take everything apart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Fred

Don't know what Steve's fix was.

But Ford Service walks you though the process.

Put the engine in the frame first. That is see that the crankcase arms are flush on the top of the frame, and that the 'nose' of the crankcase sits in the spring clip/engine mount.

Then place the fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Wasn't the pan straightened? If it has to be. How about the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

LO L.

I just came back with a bit of pride to say that I figured out how to fix it all by myself and saw what Dean said.

The problem was not at the front!

I installed the universal before putting the motor mount bolts in.
I loosened the 4 bolts at the universal and everything fits
Who wooda thunk?

Life is good again!

It pays to ask before getting out the saws and drills. :-)0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

When placed, sometimes you need to lever the arms slightly to pass the bolts, using a long drift punch placed through the frame holes. Put the wood block in first, and helpful to test fit the bolts and be sure the wood block fits snug in the frame rails. A another thin block of wood can be used as a driver to punch in the wood block.

And sometimes that front spring clip/motor mount can be removed, or loosened to ease placement of the engine when still on the chain fall. Then after the engine is in the frame, lift the front and set the spring clip in place, grease it, and lower the crankcase nose and motor down on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

My problem wasn't exactly the same. I knew my pan was straight, because I watched Mike Bender straighten it on a jig. The front end and the left bolt hole lined up perfectly. But the hole on the right was " off.

I saw three possible remedies. 1 Pry the pan ear to line it up with the misaligned frame hole. 2 Dismantle the car and straighten the frame. 3 Make the frame hole match the pan ear.

I went with the third choice and elongated the frame hole forward to fit the pan. I don't know if that was the best choice, but it's what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Thanks Dan and Steve

I hope others can learn from your wisdom.
In my case it was attaching the drive shaft before the motor mounts.

Once I got the front in, the other holes were close enough to use a small pry bar for the final alignment.
The wood blocks were easy once I figured out how to spread the bottom of the frame with a pry bar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I have a cat named "Steve". Named so, because it was a most "wrong" name for a
cat that I could think of. Second choice was "Kevin".

Anyway, MY Steve thinks he has all the answers, and as it relates to Steve the cat, I
think he is right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Burger - You made me think of one I heard of that sounds just slightly "more wrong" for a cats name than "Steve". Remember that song about a cat named "Dog"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Google "Bruce Jenner's cat". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

Don't you mean Caitlyn Jenner? He/she is no longer "Bruce".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Sorry, Ken. I am sticking with Bruce. I was brought into this world, not as a unicorn, but as
a male human. No matter how bad I may wish I was a unicorn, or have photos taken of me
dressed as a unicorn, I am still not a unicorn.

Funny, but if a guy claims to be a woman, as Bruce has, he is considered a "hero". If he
claims to be a unicorn, he's considered a loon. Wassup wit dat ? :-)

Here is a link to Bruce Jenner's cat: http://cdn.buzzpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/11027510_10153279786021638_4364 624758882012472_n.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Back in subject .... OK, not really ...

This is Steve the Cat. He is solar powered and has all the answers. We see him here
preparing to get some rest after a long walk to the food bowl after a hard night of sleeping.
Were there a sunbeam on the floor, he'd be sprawled out across it absorbing all the heat
to keep him energized for the rest of the day. :

)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Talk about thread drift!

How did we get from Steve having the answers on how to fix a T to discussing Brucey's (or whatever it's name is) cat?

I know Steve can almost everything!
Was Steve the cat fixed by Steve?
Was Bruce fixed by Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:28 am:

This was supposed to be a thread about bolts not nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:43 am:

If the frame is straight and the crankcase is straight including the ears, the bolts should fit and the cap should fit. I see a problem with elongating the frame hole. If it is elongated, it will maintain a crooked condition which could lead to early problems with the crankshaft alignment.

It is best to straighten things first. A good way to check for this would be to lay the crankcase in the frame before bolting the crankcase to the engine and transmission. It should fit right in if everything is straight.

Fred's problem was not with the straightness, but that the driveshaft was pulling things back and out of alignment. His fix was correct for that problem.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration