Made it all the way around the block!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Made it all the way around the block!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:56 am:

A major milestone for Popeye.

When I bought the '23 touring in June it had been sitting for perhaps 25 years. Gas tank was full of crud and plumbed with rubber hose and a couple of inline filters. Bands were completely gone, down to the metal. No upholstery. Generator was disconnected and fried. The front seat back had no wood and was a patched up mess. Part of the body had been painted purple. It looked bad all over, but it was relatively complete and solid except for the front seat. Here's the pile I bought:

Riveted in the front seat back and replaced all the wood. I did a lot of sanding, dent pounding and filling, and repainted the purple parts and some of the peeling black parts. Installed new glass and glass channels after reworking all the windshield posts and frames. Rebuilt the windshield wiper and added an original Ford accessory rear view mirror that I restored.

So it now has a Coil Man rebuilt generator with a Fun Projects voltage regulator. New battery, brake light switch from Fun Projects. Replaced the warped exhaust manifold and installed a U&J carburetor and manifold. Installed a new muffler and repaired the intermittently inoperative battery horn. Still need to delete the leaking water pump.

Relocated the tail light from the old spare tire carrier to the left rear fender. added an accessory STOP lamp.

Installed upholstery kit from Cartouche. An air staple gun makes this go pretty quick.

I replaced the bands with Kevlar without removing the hogshead. Surprisingly this only took about 4 hours.

I picked up a instrument panel lamp from an eBay auction for $8.

Rewired much of the car, replaced battery cables, new battery. Installed a '26 - '27 spare carrier.

There is a set of reproduction floor boards in the car, the el - cheapo variety. Not surprisingly the hole for the hand brake was in the wrong place and so the car would not go into high gear. Had to fix that before it could make the trip around the block successfully.

It starts with one or two pulls of the crank with the WICO magneto ignition. I hear the starter bendix making a noise sometimes with the engine running, I am going to have to go after that while I have the hogshead off to replace the bad cams and bent pedals.

I still have not washed any of the areas that were not repainted, and have a lot more touch up to do on the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Very well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Royce,
What's up with those bubble headlight lenses? I don't remember ever seeing those before.
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Royce, are you going to feel OK driving something without an early brass radiator???????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Robbie,

I wish I knew what brand the lenses were. They say "Corning New York" on them. The front axle control arms that go from the lower axle to the frame pivot balls are also interesting accessory and unknown as to origin.

You can see the silver painted radiator shell and headlight rims in the picture. I took care of the radiator shell, still need to do the headlight rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Royce - What a great "driver"! Seems to have an odd "stance" in that there's a lot of space between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fenders at all four corners". Heavier springs than a touring should have? Or maybe the Hasslers? Or maybe it's just the appearance due to the wheels in place of the 30 x 3.5's,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Harold,

It has some super stiff spring leaves in front and small drum Hasslers in back on a 26 - 27 large drum rear end. I have some work to do to get it down where it needs to be. It would probably roll over easily right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Royce - Seems like the set-up you have right now would have been good "back in the day" when Farmer Brown would load up the ol' flivver with the Mom, five kids, g'ma and g'pa, a goat and crate or two of chickens on the running boards, Pa's "jug", and a picnic lunch! It always amazes me to see those old photos of just such a "load" in a Model "T" Touring, when it always seems to me that my wife and I and another couple pretty well fills up our touring or depot hack! My "story" is that people were smaller in those days,.....and I'm stick'n to it"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Hassler shocks usually raise a T almost an inch. I sometimes comment about that on threads questioning "how tall is a ?" or "will it fit in my garage?"
Small drum Hasslers on a large drum rear end will raise the back a good two inches because of the difference in the spring perches they replace.

Those headlamp lenses are very unusual. I have only seen a couple over the years. If I recall correctly, in a previous discussion, someone posted a copy of an ad for them.

Neat car Royce! I am glad you got it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Very nice car, Royce. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration