Interesting body for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting body for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Looks like it would be more suited to a Rolls?
http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/cars-for-sale/1912-FORD-MODEL-T-JCW3717723?b ackurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justauto.com.au%2Fjustcars%2Fcars-category%2Fvintage-car s-for-sale%2F&backtext=Results

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Looks heavy! If it lived all it's life in that part of Australia, Mildura, it would have never seen a hill for sure so might have been happy 'a cruiz'n' those hot long desert roads!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Is it possible that it could be a correct body for the year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:12 am:

Looks "custom built" by a coach maker to me,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Not enough photo's to go by to see what the running gear is, but you can see it has later than 12 diff and rear spring, square fellow wheels too. Maybe just a handy mans work all round, if it was the real deal as a 12 it would be worth twice as much for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:06 am:

I think you are spot on Frank. The one at Shannons recently went for around $30,000 didn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Russ, that 12 past in at around 38, and a very nice T, haven't heard anything on the grape vine if it sold later, what was a surprise was the 11 torpedo at Sydney's Shannons auction a few weeks ago at $39,500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:24 am:

G’day Russell,

It clearly is not a normal Ford factory production body. Ford USA offered a Laundalet but it was discontinued with the last 2 documented as produced in 1910 -- ref page 16 and page 79 Bruce McCalley (R.I.P.) "Model T Ford." And the body on the car produced by Ford USA is significantly different from the one shown in the photo above. I do NOT have any documentation at this time if Ford of Canada produced any Laundalets or not. I would assume if Ford of Canada had produced any Laundalets that they would have been similar to the USA version – but I do NOT have any documentation one way or the other.

But Australia had a very different structure for importing and selling cars in Australia than in the USA or Canada. There were approximately six major Australian distributors many of who produced or acquired their own bodies to mount on the Ford chassis. Not as often in the early years but once the tariffs made the cost of an imported body higher than the cost of building it locally – more and more bodies were built locally. And there were still custom bodies supplied by those distributors, although the photos of the ones I remember seeing were open cars and not closed cars. But yes, it is possible that the body on the 1912 for sale above might have originally been sold new on a Ford chassis in Australia. That is where the history of the car would be so helpful. Which distributor originally sold the car or was it imported by an individual when they returned from a trip abroad? Was it constructed in the 1960s etc. or during the actual years the Model T was produced? Was it originally on that chassis or another 1912 chassis or even on a later or earlier chassis? Was it possibly on a similar size chassis produced by a different company? Or as mentioned above a newly created body.

If it originally was produced and sold in Australia back in 1912ish, I believe there is a good chance there were some photos taken of the car back then. And if so, perhaps one or more could be located?

And of course if it has been on tours etc. there in Australia, there may have been an article in one of the early magazines etc. about the car and its history?

It would be very interesting to know if the body was supplied locally and if so when and by which distributor and/or body maker.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Hap, this one lives in my State. It is not a Victorian club members car and has never attended a National tour? It has kept a very low profile! I think it is a very wiered interpretation of a Town Car body and not typically something an Aussie coach builder of the era would have built. More likely a 70's-80's build?? Just my observations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Warwick,

Thanks! Often for one of the early closed body styles rather than touring or roadster there are some folks that have some history on the car. There were not many produced so when we see them we tend to take a little more time to look at them etc.

I haven't had time to look and see if I have any reference to an Australian closed car before the importation of the 1915 Canadian Centerdoor. Does anyone else know of any references about 1909-1914 closed Model Ts in Australia? There was a good article about Peter Kable's 1911 town car and how he constructed the body. But I don't recall any other 1909-1914 closed cars or photos of closed Model Ts in Australia.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:46 am:

Frank,
It was this '11 at Shannon's I was looking at. It had an estimate of $15-$20k
http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2015-shannons-sydney-winter-classic-auction/ ford-model-t-torpedo-roadster/#.VfvACUrCarU
The was an early Metz in Wagga for sale a year or so ago with an interesting speedster body fitted to it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration