How do you solder a hole or crack in a hole or crack in a float?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do you solder a hole or crack in a hole or crack in a float?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I have a few brass floats piled up. All have holes in them. How do you solder correctly? I would like to repair these floats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Daniel, the trick is to use as little SOLDer as possible, to avoid adding weight to the floats. As with all soldering, absolute cleanliness is best, tinning as needed, and then wiping off any excess. If you need to patch a hole, I would suggest tinning a piece of brass shim stock and sweating this in place, rather than adding a pile of solder.
others may have different methods.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

As Allan says cleanliness is most important, however I don't think tinning is necessary. I have soldered a few floats and I cleaned the area with fine emery paper to a bright luster and asap apply a small amount of soldering flux to the immediate area. An electric soldering iron is best, apply the heat directly to the float for about 3 or 4 seconds then introduce the solder to the tip of the iron, the process should take about 5 seconds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 02:12 am:

I am confused ... a hole or crack IN a hole or crack (in a float) ???

So is a hole in a crack different than a crack in a hole in terms of how
much solder one uses ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 02:36 am:

I would mix a little 2 part (1:1) epoxy and press it into and spread a thin layer over the crack or hole. I have found that epoxy is impervious to gasoline. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration