Is This a Late Model T Tudor Handle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is This a Late Model T Tudor Handle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Greetings again:

Almost a year ago, by going on e-bay I discovered that the window cranks in my car were those of a Packard. To confirm this, I made a post on the Packard forum trying to clarify what type of window cranks were in my 1927 Canadian tudor. At the time, I was and still am the throws of preparing my car for new paint, which by the way, will be primered this weekend. As it turned out, the cranks went to a 1928 Packard. I sold them to a gentleman last December.

There are several items that the nickel finish had worn off of and I was pricing the cost of new plating vs the cost of buying repop items. The repop door handles that the Model T dealers sell look totally different than the two off of my car. So, I did an e-bay search and came across an identical one to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-1928-PACKARD-MODEL-T-FORD-REO-NASH-TRUCK-ROADSTER-COUPE-DOOR-HANDLE-1920S-/221877765583?hash=item33a8f205cf&vxp=mtr

The seller claims that this could go to a 1927-28 Packard, along with Model T, Reo, etc. Can anyone please confirm if Ford made this style for the late Canadian Tudors? I have posted a pic of the parts that I sent to a plating company in Seattle, which has the door handle displayed. Thanks.

- Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Jim,

1st -- Canadian production varied from USA production with respect to some parts and some years. The best example is the Canadian horn button on top of the steering wheel which was never to my knowledge used in USA production. Or the one man top that was introduced in Canadian production several years before it was introduced in USA production. And had several different minor but not interchangeable variations to the top bows for the first several years in Canadian production.

2nd -- for USA production the standard door handle for the 1926-27 (and even earlier) closed car is shown below (ref page 22 of the Nov – Dec 1972 “Vintage Ford” used by permission”)

That same photo is shown in Bruce McCalley’s book “Model T Ford” page 412.

3. What about Canadian cars? We do not have a lot of documentation on them.

The small sample size of existing known Canadian 1926-27 cars that I have photos that show the door handle all have the USA style handle as shown above. But I do “NOT” know if those handles are or are not original to the cars.

From: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=humblej-users 1926 Canadian Coupe – Jeff Humble standard style handles – I do not know if they were ever replaced or not. If he doesn’t see this thread, you could send him a private message and ask.
Terry Davis had an unrestored 1926 coupe that had the same style USA handle.

Scott Meyland 1927 Canadian Tudor has the standard USA handle: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=austinclark-users

Christopher Lang sold his 1926 Canadian coupe but it also had the USA style handle in his profile photo before he replaced it with his TT project photo.

But from a factory photo on page 380 of Bruce McCalley’s (R.I.P.) book “Model T Ford” we do know that the 1926 prototype coupe had the USA standard style handle. We also know from zooming in on the photo it has the Canadian horn button, Canadian 21 inch balloon rims with the holes for the “only used in Canada rim spreader,” and has the Kelsey removable lugs on the 21 inch rims. It also had a small drum rear axle and no tie bar on the headlamps.

Based on a very very small sample size – it is clear that Ford of Canada probably used the same style door handle in 1926-27 as the USA cars. But that doesn’t rule out that one or more of the Ford Canada factories used something else that fit and functioned the same. Do you have any history on your car? I.e. was it restored or fixed up in the past? If so, I suspect the person had access to some possible 1928-29 Packard parts and used them because he had easy access to them.

Note also that the e-bay seller says right up front – His research … and he has them listed as “1927 1928 PACKARD MODEL T FORD REO NASH TRUCK ROADSTER COUPE DOOR HANDLE 1920S ?” which is code for he isn’t sure what they originally came on.

If others with Canadian closed car handles could add what style they have and especially if they are fairly certain it is the original handle to the car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Jim:

Thanks for the clarification on what the US cars had. I am hoping that some more Canadian owners will respond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

As frugal as Henry Ford was, I would have my doubts as to whether such an insignificant part would be made differently, but that is just my opinion. Of course there were major differences between US made and European made Model T's but usually because of laws of countries where built or body makers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Guys:

Thanks for the responses - I am going to post this as 'Canadian" and see if I get a response from the Canadian guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

that's what my door handle's look like on my four door and tudor both being Canadian made mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

That is exciting to know that what I have is original. Thanks, Mike. Now we know another difference between U.S. and Canadian cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Jim, I will look. I may still have two outside door handles that might match yours. Several years ago, I bought a couple of outside door handles from an Ebay seller that he claimed were Model T. When I got them I could tell that they were different from the squared end handles used on US made T's. The best I could figure from pictures were that they might be Dodge. They had real nice plating still on them. I'll post pics if I find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:50 am:

Jim, my 26 Tudor handles also look the same and I know it's a Canadian car. From what I've seen all of the screws are square headed Robertson and they only were in the Canadian built ones.
Thanks,PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 02:37 am:

Paul:

Thanks for the confirmation. It appears that I now know of another difference between Canadian and U.S. made Model Ts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration