'25 Coupe Top Wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '25 Coupe Top Wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 02:18 am:

Going to replace the top wood on my mostly original '25 coupe this winter. Any thoughts as to suppliers/quality? Are they all made by the same company? Thanks in advance. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:19 am:

I got my coupe's top wood from the Cubel's (fordwood.com) and it took a couple of months but I am happy with the quality.

I understand there are others in the east making this wood kit as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:03 am:

David,
The p/u in my profile pic used a 25 coupe front cowl/windshield. The header wood came from Classic Wood in NC. It was quick, reasonably priced, and fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I used the top wood kit from Langs. I believe they use the wood maker in North Carolina.
Be advised that the wood top kit you purchase may not be exactly as whats in your car. It will fit but you may have to do some minor fitup for a good fit.
I have a late 24 Coupe and the front header in the kit had a little more overhang than the original.

When you remove your old wood try to keep it intact as much as you can so you can compare the fitup.

Ford used more than one body maker and the wood may have some minor differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 02:24 am:

Thanks guys. Does anyone have the top wood drawings for these cars? I'm not much of a woodworker, but I'm learning. Again, many thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 07:47 am:

I made all of the top wood in my 25 coupe. Just take it apart while taking lots of pictures. It is not that hard. You can even make it one piece at a time, buy removing one piece, making it, and then checking to make sure it fits the old.

A table saw, band saw, belt sander, orbital sander and maybe a router would be about all you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:07 am:

David, when I replaced the top wood on my 24 Coupe I took my time and it paid off.
Just remember to replace the headliner BEFORE you get everything nailed and bolted in.

I replaced all of the outside top wood and then did a preliminary fit up of the cross slats that the headliner attaches to.

After it checked out OK I removed the slats and started installing the headliner.

After the headliner was installed I tacked on chicken wire which helps in giving a nice tight and flat top surface for the final top covering to cover.
YES I know the purists don't like the idea of using chicken wire but it does help and really works well.

Its your car and I hope this helps.
Besides you cant see the chicken wire just like you cant see the improved engine and rear end parts that most of the T restorers use!

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 11:16 am:

And, if you make certain the chicken wire doesn't touch the body wood, you can add a wire to it going down to the dash area & have a hidden radio antenna!
:-)
"Radio??? What's a radio?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Good idea David D! But dang it, its not original!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Dave, I got my full size plans from Ron Buckley of Port williams Nova scotia, they where full size plans and it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:14 am:

David, just a clarification - I think you meant "make certain the chicken wire doesn't touch the body metal" if the aim is to use it as a radio antenna?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:40 am:

David, I got the wood for my '27 Tudor through Langs.
I don't recall having to rework anything.
I'm no woodworker either, I HATE working with wood, but I got it done.
If I could do it YOU can too....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking about purchasing a kit, but they are a bit pricey. I haven't started to tear into it yet, hopefully it will last till winter. Michael T., that is a good idea. I do have everything but a router. John K., my headliner is still good enough to use. Will it have to come out, or can I just leave it in place while working on the wood? Joe B., do you have Ron Buckley's address or number? Many thanks all. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 01:17 am:

Another question. What wood would be the best to use? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Roger
YOICKS!! Yes, that IS what I meant. Ain't it fun to work with dyslexics? We get all sorts of things confused!! Egads. . . . :-)
This is one reason I gave up becoming an engineer when I was very young.
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:21 am:

It depends if you want to replace all of the top wood. If you can remove the headliner material without tearing it that's fine.
But its a lot easier to work on replacing the top wood when everything is out and you can get to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

David
You may be able to get some prints for the top wood from Ron Buckley. nospambuckley@ns.sympatico.ca Remove the nospam from the e-mail address

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Thanks for all of the info and ideas guys, it helps a lot. I can get poplar and red oak from the local big box stores. Which would be better. Again, many thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Thanks for Ron Buckley's contact info Leon. I will have a set on the way shortly. Again, what type of wood would be best to use. I see that some of the kits use ash, but I don't know if I can get that here locally. I can get red oak and poplar. Thanks guys. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

poplar would be my choice. It is much easier to work with, and I have worked with both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 01:44 am:

David,
I would NOT use red oak, it splits too easily--although for the ribs I might consider it. Maple is usually available in most Home Depots & Lowes. The poplar might be good for the rim, but the maple would be much better for the ribs. Again, Poplar for the slats would be a good choice too, IMHO.
Your mileage may vary!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 02:15 am:

Thanks guys. I'm going to look a bit more and see if I can find some white oak. Problem is, a lot of the stores don't specify what they have. What I would really like to find is ash, that is what is specified in some of the kits. So far, I haven't found any of that. We do have a local cabinet shop that I had forgotten about. I will check with them and see what they have. I'd rather keep my business local anyway. The search continues. I've spent my life welding and building things with steel, this woodworking business is a bit new to me. Kind of fun to do something different for a change. Thanks again. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Dave......if you want to use Poplar for framing the perimeter use it but seal it first.
Poplar is amongst the most stable of all woods.......so stable it is used for building pianos.
I'd go with another type of wood for the cross members and such though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

David S. you can find all kinds of hardwoods for sale on Ebay.
When I needed some ash to repair the trunk area on my 24 Coupe I took some advice from someone on the forum and found all I needed.

The seller had pieces that were close to size I needed and then some.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Thanks John. I never thought about that. I used to get a lot of stuff on ebay, but I haven't been on there for over a year. That would be an option though. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration