OT this applies to the last few days in my garage!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT this applies to the last few days in my garage!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:27 am:

My wife claims that things are worse than shown because 1/2 of the time I am looking for a tool I already have it in my hand! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Boy Howdy!!! By the time I find the tool, I forget what I was going to do with it. There is a silver lining though. This is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I have found. =0)

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I never thought having 2 garages could be a bad thing until I had to look for something and didn't even know which building start in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:54 am:

If your garage looks like mine the cleaning part may be slightly exaggerated :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:01 am:

I have always said that if I could have the time back that I have spent looking for something that I just had in my hand, I would be about ten years younger.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

My friend Charlie had the messiest garage you've ever seen. Tools laying on the floor, scattered on the workbenches among oily rags and partially completed projects, on top of engines .... you get the picture.

But Charlie had an uncanny ability to remember where he had last used a tool, and could walk right over and pick up whatever he needed for his next project.

Once when Charlie was going on a week-long trip, his son in law Steve asked if he could use the garage to change out the engine in his VW. Charlie thought the world of Steve, and he gave him the keys to the garage.

When Charlie got home, not only had Steve completed the engine change, but he had picked up all the tools and put them in the appropriate drawers, wiped up 10 years of oil spills, swept the floor, cleaned the window sills, and generally made the place immaculate. Charlie was stunned.

For weeks, Charlie would rage around the garage like a bull, looking for a particular tool. All the while he would be cursing Steve. And when he found the object of his search (in a drawer, the last place he'd look), he would soften and say something like, "I don't really mean that. Steve is a nice boy. He means well."

But I think Steve got the message. He never cleaned his father in law's garage again.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Find the tool, fix or sharpen the tool then get distracted and change the project to a different one. Two things help me 35 well labeled file cabinets and a gurney with the intended tools for use on it moveable to the area being used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

My wife, a very good cook, never has the problem of loosing tools when in the kitchen.
She has a 44 inch 13 drawer roll around red tool box with a cutting board on the top.

She got it when I had a bunch of mall tool boxes in the garage and I had "Tool Box Envy" so I had to get a big one for ME!
Now the problem is that I now have two small boxes and a big one.
But I can't remember which drawer the tools are in.

Also the tool I really need is always in the basement.
The extra refrigerator with candy (don't ask), ice cream, and soda is in the basement between the tools and door.
Obviously, it is my responsibility to make sure the stuff in the downstairs refrigerator does not get stale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

I lean toward Dick Fischer's friend Charlie. I have a work bench that is currently about four projects deep. I need a certain pair of pliers? I sometimes lift a couple stacked tool boxes, parts, bits, and stuff. Grab what I need, then set the pile back.
I also sympathize with Derek Kiefer. I have a two-car garage, a separate workshop with a project car in it. A mini-barn with a car and a lot of stuff in it. Five! (Count them) Five storage sheds ranging from small to big enough for small a car but full of other stuff. And two shade-tree work areas.
Forget cleaning. It ain't gonna happen. I get way too little time out there working on my cars. I ain't gonna spend much time cleaning it.
I do have to clear a small space on the one work bench, however. I need to start working on the motor for the '15 runabout.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

I cleaned and organized my garage once. Had a devil of a time finding ANYTHING! Will never do that again. It is quicker and probably cheaper to go buy a new one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

I have started using a spreadsheet on the computer in the garage to track the location of where the tool belongs. It has been of great help to me because I sometimes don't remember where it is supposed to me anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Simple to solve the problem we all have as getting older.

BUY MORE TOOLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

You guys are lucky! My OCD won't allow me to leave my shop until everything is picked up, the floor is swept, and the coffee is ready to go for the next morning. What a curse, I would love to be able to leave a wrench laying on my bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 08:32 am:

I knew a guy that hung his tools on a white wall.
He outlined each tool and filled in the outline with black paint so he knew where each tool went.

After a few weeks he had a white wall with the painted tool shapes and all the tools piled on the bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I use pegs and nails for my std tools but believe in have several dups of everything salted around. Good thing about looking for a tool is you usually find something else that was lost a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Fred, the red portion would represent my nap time! I get away from the little woman(shop is a couple block away) and hide from the honey doos. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Frustrating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

A level and a toilet plunger. Hmmm ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I found several sets of tools which I must have won as door prizes over the years. I also found two bags of Mothers polish. Well I have some stuff to donate to our local auction! These were found just trying to find a space on my bench to do some work!

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

It gets real bad when you look for a tool you have never had!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

My kids and Grand-kids gave me this sign for Fathers Day

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration