Adjustment Yoke after tightening slow speed band

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Adjustment Yoke after tightening slow speed band
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

The new motor has about 50 miles on it, and the low pedal was just barely missing the pedal plates on the floorboard. So I adjusted the low band so I have an inch clearance to the floor.

Now I don't have a very good neutral. Although it will stay in neutral with the brake rod vertical, I cannot find neutral using pedal only. So.......

Do I have to adjust the yoke connecting the low pedal and high gear lever to obtain the 1/16" overlap. Does that yoke have to be adjusted everytime you adjust the low band?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Not every time, but it depends upon where it was when you started.

I like the clutch to release when the peddle has been pressed down about an inch and the band to lock on the drum with the pedal between 1 and 2 inches from the floor.

It is easy to see it work as you make adjustments.
The only problem I encountered is to figure out where the floor is when I have the floorboards out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

I'm new at this so I appreciate your advice. It's weird, at a light, the car will stay in neutral if the brake lever is vertical. You can step on the brake, no change in engine speed, all good. But if you carefully hold that slow pedal in that exact spot and throw the brake lever forward, the car makes a noticeable jump forward so I think its that yoke?? does that sound right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Gary,

I look at how it works.
The brake handle has a ramp that pushes on the clutch finger when it is pulled back and halfway forward.
This ramp moves the fingers on the inside of the transmission and releases the clutch.
When the handle is forward the clutch is engaged.

The low pedal has the linkage that moves the clutch to neutral when the pedal is depressed.
As the pedal is pressed further down the bands grab the drum.
Between all the way up and down is neutral.

I just play with the adjustments until I get what I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

PS neutral with the brake vertical is ok for me. All the way forward is in high gear unless the low pedal,is pressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Take a good look at the clutch lever. As you push the low pedal, you will find that the clutch lever moves down (on the end connected to the link to the pedal) and up on the end with the adjustment bolt. As you push in the low pedal, you will find a certain spot when the lever stops moving down and just stays the same position. That point should be the same as position where the brake lever holds the bolt. So that whether you use the pedal or the parking brake lever, it will be in neutral. I suspect that your link between the pedal and the clutch lever is too short and needs to be lengthened. It also could be that the hole in the pedal or the end of the link is worn so that you have too much play in the linkage. Try adjusting as shown on the attached drawing.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Norm...Thank you. The yoke needed to be lengthened to hold her in neutral. There is a little slop in the linkage but not that much.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration