Gunmetal blue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gunmetal blue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I am getting ready to paint my car and have pretty much decided on Gunmetal Blue. There are pictures of cars posted on the internet which are supposedly gunmetal blue, but it's very difficult to evaluate the color due to different lighting, surroundings, screens, etc.

Has anyone used the PPG Acrylic Lacquer in the Gunmetal blue color?

If so, could you comment on the outcome? I understand this color is quite green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Eric

This is the paint used by Gordon Koll, on his very nice '27 plain Jane (non-electric) runabout.

duPont Lucite acrylic lacquer 1928 Model A Gunmetal Blue code 436

Have seen this T and it looks real good in this hue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

My knowledge about paints if very limited. I thought that just by having the formula it was a done deed, the color would just magically appear. Not so, according to the automotive painters in Spain. They tell me that colors can vary drastically depending on the type of paint, the brand and all kinds of other factors.

My painter made up a sample from a PPG formula and it looked more green than blue. Later I read on the forum that Gunmetal Blue has a very green hue to it, so I'm thinking that maybe the sample actually came out correct and my expectation is off base. I also read that this color changes quite a bit in tone depending on the light. I used to have a CitroŽn 2CV painted Glacier Blue that could take on a very purplish look depending on the light so I do understand the concept.

I really like the blue on Gordon Koll's car (thanks Dan) and would be very happy if my paint came out like his!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Eric,

I don't think you should see a green hue in Gunmetal Blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

My observation was taken from Marshall Daut's statement at the end of this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/45510.html?1200606423

Again, I can't claim to know a lot about formulating paints. I can however vouch for the fact that before having cataract surgery, my ability to distinguish between blues and greens was very affected and I found myself getting into discussions about what was "blue" and what was "green". This just makes me ever more conscious that what each of us is seeing could be markedly different. That's how one person can really like a color and other's say it's just awful. I'm getting a little off track here, but suppose it's all part of the painting game.

My painter will just need to make more samples and change whatever it is that needs to be changed until the color comes out as expected. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration