Gas Light Burner Advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gas Light Burner Advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

As I was preparing the acetylene system for the Gas Light Tour at OCF, I noticed that the reproduction burner acquired from a well-known parts suppliers' catalogue, doesn't burn as bright as the original in the other headlight. The original gives me a nice, bright "fishtail" that is considerably brighter than the repro. No matter how high I turn on the water to the carbide, the repro does not match the brightness or fishtail configuration of the original. Does this mean the repro has a lower cfm "hole"? Any idea how I can get the two lights to be equal without ordering another repro? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Marty,

It sounds like you may have a leak near the low burner. It doesn't take much to lower the flame.

I suggest you swap the two burners and see if that burner is still burning low. The repro burners are 3/4 foot per hour and will give a full fishtail with enough gas.

I like this pipe dope and have no leaks. It also lets you line up the elbows and burners on the stands without using pliers.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Ken, thanks. I'll try the swap and see what happens. I assume you can get TFE paste and ACE or somewhere similar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Anybody else care to offer an opinion/advice? Do burners have different size openings/cfm ratings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Yes,

IIRC 3/4 cubic feet per hour are about the biggest burners that a T can handle. If you get to big you are at risk of damaging the glass reflector mirrors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Yes,

IIRC 3/4 cubic feet per hour are about the biggest burners that a T can handle. If you get to big you are at risk of damaging the glass reflector mirrors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Marty,

The pipe dope is a hardware store item.

The burners have different size openings and are rated in cubic feet of gas used per hour, cfh. The sizes seen the most are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 1 cubic feet per hour.

5/8 and 3/4 will work fine in the T lamps.

Old burners are usually marked on the brass stem except for the Alco Deluxe and they are rubber stamped on the lava tip.

The Alco Deluxe style is on the left.

These burners were used in homes, cycles and cars back in the day.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin - Brea, Calif. on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

The actual orifice in the burner is extremely small, I think on the order of .006" for a 3/4 cfh burner if I remember correctly. The information is here in the forum archives somewhere. Good luck to you if you want to try to open it up a little.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration