Has anyone used this tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Has anyone used this tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I am curious if anyone has used this tool. It is a thread chaser for hubs. Langs part number is 2815T

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2815T.aspx

If so what were your results? Is there a thread cutter tool as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Have one, works well, takes care to make sure it starts strait or could really mess up the threads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Scott

Have used it to chase the hub cap threads. Works well, didn't have a big enough wrench so resorted to my pipe wrench. Kinda messed up the outside :-(

Use a thread file first for the buggered up outer threads, as this big chaser won't start easy. Once on, it does a nice job, slowly with cutting lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Great advice. Thanks for the feedback. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

An exhaust pack nut wrench works well to turn the die. As others have said, it can be tricky to get started straight, especially if the first thread on the hub is damaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Dennis, that's when you use one of the thread repair files as mentioned in a previous post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:44 am:

For what it is worth, I made this one by cutting up a bolt die and brazing the pieces inside a home-made handle. It works quite well.
An advantage to it is that it opens up enough to put onto better inside threads and carefully cut its way out across the worse threads. It is a bit tricky to handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Wayne's tool is a home made version of the Stevens T-181. As he says, it has the advantage of starting on the undamaged inside threads and working outward to where they're usually boogered up.

I've been looking for one of these at swap meets and auctions for years, but I haven't found one yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 02:33 am:

Wayne, that is a great idea! That is by far the best way to chase threads. Start from the inside and move out. Steve, I haven't seen one of those tools either in the last twenty years. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 06:53 am:

I didn't even know there was such a tool as Stevens made, until I came across one at our local T club swap meet. I knew Stevens made tools for T's and the one I found had the T 181 number cast into it, so I paid the $20 asking price anyway, and then discovered what it was. How lucky was that?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

The Stevens tool pictured above is the best you can have. However, it is very hard to find one. I found my first one walking around at the swap meet. A fellow was carrying one around and I asked him if it was for sale. He said that he had brought it for another fellow but the guy thought that $75.00 was too much. What a fool! I could not get my money out fast enough. Luckily I have sense found another one. Very handy tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:55 am:

I think that OTC still makes a backthread tool, has several pitches, I can furnish the number, if you are interested. DAVE, Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

This is another option;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Snap-On-TR-20-Shaft-Thread-Repair-Tool-With-15-Inserts-/281797507368?hash=item419c70b928

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration