Twist bars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Twist bars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:07 am:

In a previous post I mentioned twist bars to align doors to the bodywork, and I was asked for details. My D & F roadster has them. The bar is simply a length of 2" 1/8" flat mild steel.bar

When fitted to the door the bar is twisted first and then screwed down at one end. This rrsults in the other end standing off the frame on one side.

When this end is screwed down, the screw closest to seating on the frame is driven first. Then the second screw is driven just far enough for the door frame to attain the correct twist to fit the doorway. Depending on how much twist is required, this may leave the bar sitting a little off the frame timber.

When I rebuilt the doors for the roadster I spent a deal of time on each corner joint so that all the timbers went together without the need for the twist bar. I can understand why the bars are used in a commercial situation. I will fit them, but there will be no tension on them.

Just for your interest.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

I find that very interesting! Thank you.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration