I've been black listed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I've been black listed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I ordered a couple thread files and a handful of nuts and bolts from McMaster-Carr this week and after receiving my order confirmation, I noticed that they sell graphite flakes. I marked them as a new order but then made the BIG mistake of asking if there was any restriction transporting this product by air overseas. The person answering my query promptly cancelled the order for the graphite flakes informing that they only export to established overseas customers. He then proceeded to cancel my pending order for the thread files, nuts and bolts as well. I have been informed that McMaster-Carr has decided not to sell me anything now nor in the future due to the risk that I might take it overseas. This all seems a bit overzealous to me but the person on the helpline takes his job seriously and even though he "regrets any inconvenience" I still need some 5/16-24 x 1" bolts and nuts to reattach the turtle deck on my 27 Roadster and would like to have the SAE thread files for any contingencies.

I am pretty disgusted with the treatment I received and I will make an attempt to find these SAE threaded items locally, it's just usually a come-up-with-nothing kind of search in this part of the world. :-(

Does anyone on the Forum use a similar supplier that would welcome a new customer, domestic or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Get one of the guys to buddy-up with you and act as forwarding agent. Or sign up to MyUS.com - they group goods you buy in US and onward ship them for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:50 am:

How did they not know you were overseas when you placed your original order?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:12 am:

They probably didn't know that Spain was outside of the USA.

This morning I head that 4 % of the people on Twitter are saying that if Trump is elected they are moving out of the US.
Half of them say that they are going to either Hawaii or Alaska! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:13 am:

head is short hand for heard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:15 am:

You might try: http://www.grainger.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Jerry, the address was domestic. I intended on picking the parts up while visiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:31 am:

I had an order of machine screws, round head, nothing special, refused to ship to Canada from Mcmaster Carr because there was a military spec associated with them. They are standard catalog items! Also had another screw they would ship but had over 400% duties associated with it. Changed the length required by 1/2" and no issue shipping. Go figure.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Forgive me for being dumb - Why would McMaster-Carr, or any other company for that mater, care if their products wind up "overseas"? Are nuts and bolts now a controlled substance? I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Why would they care if you carried their product overseas?

Is it possible that 5/16-24-1 bolts and nuts are on the international do not export register?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Speedway motors will not ship all metal body filler to Ma. Something about Ma limiting voc's. Eastwood apparently didnt know the law and they shipped it. Sometimes you just need to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Eric: when I need something from Mc master-Carr, I asked one of my friends in the US to order it and then send it to me. I am also on the BLACK LIST !!!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Colin and Toon, I don't feel so singled out now.

Henry, I am of the same opinion. Here is the explanation they gave me:
"We have cancelled both your orders. You advised us that some of the material you purchase from us may be exported from the United States. The United States government regulates the documentation required for material shipped outside the US and also controls what material companies are allowed to export. This is a serious responsibility for any exporter, and we have chosen to avoid the risks involved in these transactions. We cannot accept this order or future orders. We regret any inconvenience his may cause you."

They are policing their own customers and as far as I am concerned a company only does that because they want to, not because they have to.

Perhaps I inadvertently ordered the solid gold nuts and bolts which got my order so closely scrutinized. :o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

I have to say I am baffled by this. I would like to know if there is some law against it or what? Homeland Security? Perhaps some law requires them to collect a duty/tax and forward it to the various foreign governments? If so, I can see where that would be a pain in the butt and they would not want to bother. Maybe they got scammed by some Nigerian and swore off international sales? I really WOULD like to know the reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

I would too Hal. Their treatment and the way the online help guy informed me really left a sour taste behind. It makes you feel like a criminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

The nuts and bolts Eric ordered were probably made in China in the first place.

Fred, they should move to New Mexico if they want to leave the U.S. it's not so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

So you were going to do exactly what they said you might do which is to take the stuff out of the States. Don't know what their reason might be but if they, by law, can't ship outside the USA you're making them responsible for supplying the stuff to you and when they found out your intentions they cut you loose. That's why your other order was cancelled. You told them it was going overseas. Like I said: why is unknown but obviously they can't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

You can get bolts on EBay and many big box stores.
I'll bet that some of the "old fashion" hardware stores will sell them by the box.

Also try Bolt Depot .com
They are in Weymouth MA and I've ordered from them before.
The shipping was quick.
I think I ordered them one afternoon and they were delivered to me the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

To be clear, I am not associated with McMaster Carr and am certainly not a spokesperson for them. Nevertheless, I suspect that among the materials they sell, some are prohibited by the U.S. Government from being exported...period. Other items may be exported to certain countries but not others. Some exports may trigger additional record keeping and or filing requirements.

Based strictly upon what I have read in this thread, I suspect that McMaster Carr may have concluded that the risk of criminal prosecution and financial penalties associated with exporting something that shouldn't have been exported is so great that they have chosen not to export anything to anyone rather than establish the internal controls necessary to keep them out of trouble. Just one little mistake in this arena could wipe out the profit from thousands and thousands of international sales.

Just my guess....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Have never used McMaster Carr, but learned some on Internet. There are reports of un-satisfied international customers who can't get the products warehoused by McMaster Carr.

Here is the home page order info:

Most orders are delivered the same or next business day at standard ground rates. More than 98% of the products ordered are shipped from inventory. We use many different carriers in order to provide you with fast deliveries, but if you need a special delivery or would like to pick up your order at our Will Call counters, please let us know. If you prefer a certain carrier, just select Other in the shipping method tool and enter that carrier’s name.

Shipping orders outside the United States

We can ship our products throughout the world using air and ocean transportation services. We evaluate international orders from all new customers to determine whether we can accept them.

At McMaster-Carr, we do not have order minimums.

Sales tax

We charge sales tax in California, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, and Georgia. If you are located in one of those states and have a resale card or certificate, e-mail, fax, or mail us a signed copy. If your tax status varies, you can let us know when you place your order using the Special Instructions field at the bottom of the Current Order page.

The company is private owned, started in 1901, it warehouses other companies (suppliers) mfg. products, does not make its own, so it could be highly likely that export restrictions could be on products due to existing distribution agreements with their product suppliers.

That would meant certain lines of products or brands sold are for USA only, and can't be sent to certain export zones as the suppliers have reps in that particular zone. That happens a lot with general suppliers. Export sales for McMaster Carr are probably low $ market, with according high cost $ of handling export orders, doc prep cost, fees for shipping / packing / labeling shipments to meet so very many different foreign requirements.

Its much easier to ship interstate in the USA, no extra labeling or packing, so McMaster Carr restricts the export to certain customers, ones with larger orders to maintain costs.

Likely they don't do a good job of informing foreign customers on this info or policy that is one their web page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I would have no problem ordering these items for you and holding them until u arrived. However I doubt you are coming to wisconsin. Maybe someone else can purchase and hold the items for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

I can't help but comment. That is very stupid. A few bolts? I mean really? It is not like they are going to Iran for the nuclear program. Why should the company care where a few bolts go as long as payment is made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

One reason they won't ship those bolts overseas comes to mind. Think what else they could be used for besides connecting things together. They would probably be just about the right size. Just a WAG. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I just hope this company doesn't forward your details to US Border Protection and have you blacklisted from entering the USA...you never know; maybe they thought you were trying to get around US sanctions against Iran or Russia. You buy then re-ship them there for profit...the Gulf Arabs are doing that and making big $$$. Nuts and bolts can be used on missiles as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Yup, McMaster-*wats .... refused to sell me some thread dies quoting homeland security. I bought them from another company that does want to sell to customers. I'm nobody, but so is McMaster.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

So what are graphite flakes used for that is illegal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

James, I don't know, but they sure as shootin' are not going to tell ME. :o

I appreciate all the suggestions for getting SAE nuts and bolts. I'll check them out and find one that is willing to work with me.

Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Graphite is used in missiles.

According to The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Section 121.1 graphite is a restricted material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Eric,

Try Fastenal:

https://www.fastenal.com/home

They do international sales and service. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Scanning the ITAR publication revels some interesting component makeup of some secret munitions. You will have to understand some chemistry though. I won't detail it here because I don't want the "suits" showing up at my doorstep. It's strange that the US State Department makes this info available online but I guess Hillary's FUBARs continue to be spread far and wide. :-)

Access the ITAR here: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Sorry - I can't help myself - I have no discipline :-(

Black lists count
White lists count
All lists count!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:48 am:

The problem seems to work both ways .I wanted to buy parts for a Ford Anglia engine from the only source I could find and it was from another country and they will not sell to anyone in the USA. It is so stated in there add. It seems they think they are going to face lawsuits. Hell the thing was built by an American company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Graphite is used in pencils. Not dangerous. No reason to stop shipping it anywhere.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration