Model A Vicky Canvas Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model A Vicky Canvas Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

I have a question for you Model A guys. A friend has a low-mileage very original '31 Vicky which was painted about 1950. I believe the "leatherback" top also was replaced at that time. The material on the top now looks like a white canvas material, and it doesn't look to be waterproof. If a spray of water gets on it, it just soaks in.

Is there some way to waterproof this material, or should it be replaced with something else. What is the correct material for those? Thanks for any info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I know nothing about Model A's, but here is a recipe for a good waterproofer. It works well.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/as-spring-starts-to-roll-around-with-bulbs-11572357 4305.html?soc_src=unv-sh&soc_trk=ma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 01:29 am:

Wonder how well that would work on wood? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 01:38 am:

Mike,
The tops were "leatherette" a pebble-grained light tan "Naugahyde" would be appropriate. You certainly don't want moisture caught under it, rust city!
LeBaron Bonney company probably has a kit for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

My copy of the Revised 1997 Judging Standards says "Tan two-tone Diagonal grain artif. leather". It calls for the same material for trim binding.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration