Almost got carb disassembled today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Almost got carb disassembled today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I've got a cast iron Holley G. Today I got it almost disassembled. Under the cover there is a wire ring and an aluminum part. It's rusty, the wire ring broke and the aluminum part looks like it is flaking, or maybe it is just crud. I cant find that little retainer wire in the catalogs. How do I get this apart? Do I soak it in something? I used heat to get the needle seat out. I'm at a standstill now. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Corey, The part you are describing is known as the venturi. It is originally die cast (zinc), and like most die castings of that time, are now swollen and stuck good. I've not had any luck getting them out, so it's sometimes better to sacrifice the venturi to save the carb body. You should be able to break it up by driving a screwdriver thru it.

The wire ring is the retainer that holds the venturi in place. It should be .062" diameter spring wire, and either have one end norched or bent out (into an "L"). McMaster Carr has the wire to make a new one

Langs part number for a new aluminum venturi (nice part) is 6061.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

I saw the new venturis are aluminum I figured the old one was also. That explains the flaking. I'm sure I can make the ring. Then I'll need to find a spray needle and throttle plate. I'll piddle with it more tomorrow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration