Tbay Bidding......... Read The Fine Print

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tbay Bidding......... Read The Fine Print
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Wowzers! Check out the shipping cost on this item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accessory-engine-air-antique-cars-Model-A-Ford-Model-T-F ord-tire-inflator-/151817612858?hash=item235908ee3a&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Guy has good feedback - gotta be a mistake !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Probably just got 550 in the wrong spot, meant 5.50 which might be small flat rate box postage. Did you do your part to help him out by asking about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Says 5.50 this morning. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:20 am:

I am wondering if it fills the tube with an explosive mixture of air and gasoline vapor.

I remember "hearing stories" about filling an inner tube with acetylene and setting it off like a large firecracker.
I'll remind everyone that I not would be involved with anything like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Fred, The air pump uses "fresh outside air" to fill the tire. The air from the cars engine/piston is just used to operate the pump. We had one of this style sparkplug pumps on the farm to air up tractor tires with. We used to air up the big truck and trailer tires with ether. We would spray a quick shot of ether into the tire (tubeless), then take a piece of burning newspaper and throw on the tire. There was a big "boom" and then the tire was seated on the rim and usually had about 10 to 15 pounds of air pressure in the tire. It works good and I have never seen anyone hurt by it. But I am not recommending it to anyone. Do not ever attempt anything you do not feel comfortable with or know how to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I did the ether thing on a lawnmower tire I could not get the bead to seat and needless to say the bead was all that was left and my ears rang for a while!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I also figured it was a typo, that's why it pays to prof read before hitting send.

Whoops! That's PROOF! :-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Mack, now that's funny!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

The threads on the screw in piece are not for a Model T.

The screw in part had a little piston in it and it puts fresh air into the tube.

My uncle had one of those for a Chevrolet truck during the world war 2 years and used it almost daily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

You could buy those new from J C Whitney I know as late as 80 or 81. They work pretty good. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

I thought all farmers had one.
We sure did.
If you use a large slow running engine the tire will inflate quickly.
If use a V8 and rev the engine it will take all day, or longer.
I liked to use it on the A John Deere.
I'd get it to idle on the one cylinder kinda fast and then open the compression release so it would run slow with the throttle open some. It would really pump up a tire fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

It is now fixed to read $5.50

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

When we were farming in the forties, fifties and sixties I never knew or heard of a farmer who owned an air compressor. some had ark welders, most had electric drills.
Since they had wagons, trucks, tractors and other rubber tired machines they needed something to keep the tires up.
They used those spark plug hole pumps.
Maybe a few used hand pumps, but I don't remember any hand pumps being used, except on bicycles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration