4-ball carburetor questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 4-ball carburetor questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:46 am:

I have a Kingston 4-ball carburetor that I am working on. It seems to be in pretty good shape. The Throttle has minimal wear, and the carburetor in general is very good condition.

However, I need a float. Is there one available, or do I need to get some float material and make one? If so, I need some dimensions. A float for a Holly G seems about the right size. The float for a Kingston L is too small. Does anybody have any suggestions or dimensions?

Are there gaskets available, or do I need to make some? I believe there is one at the top of the bowl and one on the inside of the bottom of the bowl. Is that correct? How about for the caps that cover the balls? Are there gaskets there?

The 4 ball uses the same teeter-totter needle valve as the Kingston L, which is marginal at best. I know they are prone to leaking and people say to, "turn the gas off when you stop the engine". I'd be interested in any tips there, too.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:05 am:

From a 2013 post by Stan Howe

Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 07:48 pm:

There are no parts for the 4 ball like there are for the other carbs. You have to make a new float, machine the bowl for a better needle and seat and actuator arm. Machine the ball seats so they are round again, then replace the brass balls as they are almost always worn out of round and don't seal as they are designed to. Throttle and choke shafts have to be machined, they are not the same as any other T carb. The adjustment needle is different from any other Kingston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Keith,
Use the float for the Holley G, (vendors). "Shave" off a smidge to make it fit the bowl. There are two holes in the float but just use one. The only gasket on mine is under the bowl nut on the bottom. It does not leak at all.

Mine was built by Russ Potter and runs great. I do have a shut-off but seldom use it. Easy start.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Thanks, Ken.
That's what I was kind of thinking.
-Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration