Spark plug soot

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plug soot
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Help me out, fella's! I can't remember what causes black soot on all four plugs; is it a timing (too advanced/retarded) issue or a mixture issue (too rich/lean) or both???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Usually, if there's not an oil burning problem, it's due to running too rich. I sooted up my plugs so bad the car wouldn't start! I learned to use the carb adjustment properly after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Thanks, Charlie, I appreciate the input and I apologize for the re-post. I must be loosing it because I posted the same question in July but forgot the answer! Too rich it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

If you let the car idle for a minute before shutting off they always look black. If they are not fouling, don't worry about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Too rich a mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

If it runs good, it doesn't matter. Too many people look at their plugs way too often.

But to answer your question, yes, too rich, as others have also confirmed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Too narrow a plug gap can also cause the plugs to soot up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration