26 fuel vent screws

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 fuel vent screws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Hi,
The vent on my early '26 roadster is about to be installed. I have what I thought were the original screws but they just don't seem to fit properly. They are (I think) 10-32 flat head machine screws. There doesn't seem to be any accommodation for them to be countersunk. Anyone out there have any idea how it should be attached?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

The fuel door lid is held with those oval head machine screws from above, lock washers and square nuts below. Don't know why the holes aren't countersunk for them, but the holes are straight, head sticks up a tiny bit, but won't interfere with action of the lid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Hi Dan,
Oval head and not flat head-is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

The ones I found on my 27 Roadster are round head type, but they don't look too convincing.

I'll find some oval head screws for the reassembly. That should help to center things up better too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Oops. Sorry guys. I made a bad.

That screw is a flat head single slot.

Guess I need to look first before just remembering.

Here is the correct original fastener for that fuel door lid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Still can't get it right, its a low, shallow round head, not really flat. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Perhaps this is a good place to talk about the various stops the fuel door lid has depending on when it was made??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Yes, your looks like it has a rounded head, Mine is definitely flat. I can't show you an image because it is back in the shop and I won't be there until monday, My car was built in October of '25, so who knows what they had on hand then. It Just doesn't look right because the head sticks up above the surface. If I could find screw like yours I would use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Arnie, what do you mean by stops?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I think he is referring to the two "stops" in the gas door spring that holds the door partially open for ventilation or fully open for refueling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:46 am:

IIRC the one shown in Dan's picture is called "button head".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I believe the screw in Dan's photo is a Truss Head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Larry has it right. They're called a Truss Head screw.

When you know the correct name of a fastener, it makes it much easier to find the right one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Yes, I was referring to the one, two or possibly (?) three stops in the gas door spring. This might be a change in the 26/27 gas door spring design. Does anyone have a 3 position gas door?? We could try to see just when the change took place as it is easy for members to lift the gas door to determine the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:02 am:

They may be called truss head bolts, but they are commonly referred to as gutter bolts in Australia. They are typically used when bolting together sheet metal, the larger flatter head used in conjunction with a square half nut. I have only ever seen them in 3/16" and 1/4" coarse thread.

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Here are the screws that came from my vent lid. As you see they are flat head.Lid screws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:52 am:

I stand corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

My September 1926 production roadster had round or truss head screws when I removed the fuel door. They are at the painter's now so I can't get a better picture at the moment.

The door has two positions not counting closed (horizontal).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Picked up two truss head screws at a local hardware store today They are 8x32. I'm a happy camper. I think my lid only has two stops-open and closed but I am not sure as the body is at the shop and I can't compare it with Eric's pictures. Glad to see that the gas tank was originally painted black as was mine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration