Now thats just crazy talk

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Now thats just crazy talk
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

I have a nice 26 roadster I've had for a few years now. I purchased it with a ruckstel, 12 volt, distributor, model A carb. stuff like that. I had the engine and trans rebuilt, new white walls, and some other stuff I've done to it. I drive it often and man it runs great. I made the mistake of looking at some other cars, JUST TO LOOK, and I find myself wanting another car. The problem is I cant afford another car without selling or trading my T. This is my third T and I like this one best of all. I was thinking of a 53 chevy, or late 50s cars ( i like the fins ). I will take my tablet to the shed and match the car ad up to my T. Um that's a nice car and I can drive it a lot farther than my T. Then I stop myself and ask WHAT AM I DOING? I AM my own worst enemy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

You can't afford another car ?

Sir, ... if I may , ... I submit you have an income problem ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Yep. You are correct. I tried to get the wife to get a second job but that didn't go over so good. She foolishly thought I should get a second job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

You need to keep the T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

People have mentioned here regretting they sold their T and many attempt to buy them back after a few years. Think carefully before you jump on something else that really isn't as fun to drive.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I would have never SOLD mine......I miss my Depot Hack and TT Dumptruck......Each and every day....Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Scott--DON'T DO IT!!!!
While other car clubs have wonderful members, IMHO, the T group folks are not only wonderful, they're grrrrreeeeaT! (sorry tony the tiger)
You will miss us too much, and then there's the T bug, that once you have it, well, no known cure, just treatments (of driving a model T).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Great advise guys. Thanks for looking out for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 12:23 am:

You could take a loan to buy another if you can't wait until you have the money.. Or buy a project car if you have a big enough garage - a 50's car in pieces takes more space than two T's..
Anyway you do, have fun and keep a T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Scott, Really? a 53 chevy? That car was ugly when new and it didnt get any better with time. 235 6. What a pile of junk. I know as I had one in a 64 truck. Heads crack all the time. Do go over 50 down hill as the rods like to exit out the side. Saw that happen several times on different trucks. I only made the mistake on owning one. And the T will out run the chebby till you get the potato in high gear. Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 01:02 am:

"Potato" .... that is a PERFECT descriptor for that finely styled automobile ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 02:24 am:

You're not serious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:30 am:

I can afford another car, and I really want a Veteran. The question for me is..Do I want one more car? Or one less wife?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 07:52 am:

I can back up what Scott said about the 53 chevy. My Father and my Sister had a pair of 54s. Both cars were big problems. My Sisters was a mint low mileage car and should have been a good one, but it wasn't. On the engineering end my 53 Merc. is way ahead of those chevys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 09:10 am:

You should have tried a '55-'57 Chevy...the picture of style, performance and reliability. The V-8 version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:11 am:

The 53 (and 54) tin woodies are a great looking car. Can't comment on the 6, all of mine had v8's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Gary, they were only available with a 6. Someone must have added a V8 to yours. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. The 54 was slightly better looking than the 53. I and my siblings were embarrassed to be seen in it. My Fathers was a wagon, the tailgate raddled and shook more than any T I have owned. On cold nights he had to leave a lead light on next to the carb so it would start in the morning. No good memories of that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:23 am:

John, The T-bird out ran the chevy,s Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I regret selling mine at times. I know it went to a good home, but still.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Dan, yes I know. I was the one who pulled the 6's and did the swaps. Had to be small blocks as the engine bays weren't designed for a v8. My 55 had the original 265v8 and I was able to squeeze a 59, 409 into my 57. Agree 100% beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

I too like the 1953 Chevrolet. But I do not need one. Borrow some cash and buy a 1928-29 Model A. Drive it for a while and then decide which one to sell. Most of us T guys have Model A's too. With a Model A you can get a Mitchell overdrive to go faster, touring grind cam. Snyder's higher compression cast iron head. I know Model A people who drive coast to coast with this set up and tool along at about 60MPH. The 53 Chevy still has a torque tube drive shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Scott,
The T-bird was not the family sedan or sport coupe. It was competing with the Corvette...now who was out-running whom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

John, 6 cylinder vet or the 265 or the 283 are all pigs. The T-bird was the better car. Powerglide made them worst. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Somehow the '57 FI Corvette with close ratio manual transmission seemed plenty fast to me.
Wish I still had it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolores Edinburg,Tex on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:28 am:

I have too many cars to go under roof right now, I'll be buying car covers and breathing a sigh of relief that we don't have extreme cold.
Think about your available space seriously as it can affect the condition of both finished and unfinished cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Dad had a 53 chevy wagon that he drove for years and it got passed down to both of my brothers and my sister and I. Dad toke it back when I went in to the military. That car survived all of us. The only problem I remember was a broken timing gear and the was fixed very fast. It was a very nice and reliable car. I know there are faster vintage cars out there but if I want to go fast (not so much lately) I will take my motorcycle. I cant see me ever giving up my T for another car. I was just thinking (which is something I should not do).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

In 1957 Ford upped the ante with a super charge option for the T-Bird, in addition to the two four barrel option. Mega bucks if you want to buy one of these now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

This option was also available in the passenger car line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Since this thread is growing stale, let me keep it alive.
The Ford Y-Block engine is obsolete...the Chev Small Block is everywhere.
'55-'57 Fords have not survived...Chevrolets are another story.
T-Birds turned into toads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Gee John the survival rate here is just fine. I have a 55 and 56 Ford Convertible's, 2 56 2 door Hardtops, 56 Merc 2 door Hardtop. The Thunderbird's way out sold the Corvettes on the years your referring to. For that matter, most other if not all others years also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

How many times have I seen an ad for a 40 ford completely restored with a 350 sbc. Restored?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Dan,
Sounds like you have a great collection. Take care of them, they are rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Here in Spokane, the overall old car sentiment runs stronger than any other place I
have lived that old cars need to drive like new cars, or to put it more succinctly, a huge
number of people are into "hotrods". Take a basic body shell, gut it, lose all the interesting
exterior details, paint it some gaudy bright color, insert small block Chevy, and hang as
much billet on as possible.

A lot of 60-70 year old guys trying to be 16-17 again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Scott,

Most guys have the same problem ..... with women.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Burger, that last remark made me LOL. The ones who have enough hair left are probably wearing high school kid hair styles too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration