Old Photo - Dad's Auto Camp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Dad's Auto Camp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Looks peaceful. No noisy air conditions running, taking the dogs out for its night potty, no rumbling diesels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I don't hear 1 generator or see 1 big screen tv either.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

No cell phones,?? how are they still alive, with no facebook, twitter, texting . :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Does look like a great place to camp, why have all the simple pleasures in life disappeared?...Remember Drive-Ins?..Mom and Dad would load you into the back of the wagon in your PJ's to watch some cheesy film,..but it was a family outing which was great..i will never forget those times, and am thankful i grew up when i did...thanks Ma and Dad..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

La Junta sits between Alamosa and Antonito on the D&RG's San Juan Extension, a 3' narrow gauge railroad
built in 1880-1 to Durango and Silverton. The section through La Junta was dual gauged, but beyond Antonito
it remained NG and under steam operation until abandonment in 1968. The 64 mile section from Antonito to
Chama remains in service to this day as the Cumbres & Toltec and the section from Durango to Silverton still
operates AS the Durango & Silverton.

Hard to imagine a more amusing way to spend time camping than watching narrow guage steam trains plow
back and forth as I sit by my Model T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 10:19 am:

I read recently that at one time post WW2 there were over 2300 drive ins in the US. Today less than 300 survive.

We have one left in western Washington on Whidbey Island near Oak Harbor. My daughter often goes there on Saturday nights $5.00 for a car load. She told me the place is filled with carloads of young families, little kids in pj's waiting for the cartoons and making runs to snack bar. She also says by the time they are done watching the 2 movies snacks and drinks, they spend nearly $50.00 for the evening. I remember going as a teen and having the trunk loaded with sneakers. We had to wait until dark to let them out of the trunk.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Burger, Thanks for the description. I have ridden on both the Cumbres and the Durango Silverton railroads. Now I have a more correct idea of the photo and where it was taken ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

I'll probably take some heat for this, but I suspect we have more than a few pranksters
in our midst, so here goes ....

Back in my high school days, there were a couple drive-in screens between Bellevue
and Houghton along Northup Way. Being the prankster that I am (amongst a bunch of
friends of equally mischievous minds), we built a giant slingshot out of a huge funnel
and about 40' of surgical tubing.

My friend Dave's Dad had had a serious heart attack that ended his career in banking.
To make ends meet, he became something of a scrounge and doer-of-projects, building
dog houses and selling them along the road, or trading chickens and eggs for other things
he needed. One of the fallouts of Dave's Dad's enterprises was a surplus of fruits and
vegetables that went bad before they could eat them. Dave was often tasked with culling
the soft perishables from the crates stacked in the garage, and through the combined evil
minds at work, a devilish scheme was devised to put our "funnelator" to work hurling sprays
of apples or large zucchinis out over the drive-in field and create a "certain mayhem" down
below.

The fruit was all selected carefully to ensure it would splatter, rather than do damage, and
we soon discovered the best trajectory to shoot for was not the field, but the area directly in
front of the projector, creating momentary near-eclipses of the movie screen by the tumbling
black silhouettes of said zucchinis and squash. Long and extended horn storms erupted
and soon people were out of their cars in search of those hurling fruit down there on the field.
They never seemed to consider it could be coming from so far away.

We found that we could unload about three flats of "ammo" before being forced into a retreat
mode, due to the mobilization of hostile forces below blocking our only escape route back to
the road from our perch on the NP tracks.

Today, you's never recognize the place. The drive-ins are gone and the site buried in sprawl.
The area's industry dwindled away and the railroad tracks were pulled up. Most all of us punks
moved away and developed a sense of nostalgia for all the things we knew and loved back then
that are gone today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I was in Silverton just yesterday...Fall Colors Abound...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Burger, sounds like "good clean fun" to me. Carl, Im always "jealous" of you folks that live there (Colorado) ... :-) :-) We try to make a trip to Colorado at least once a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Gee, I thought our sneaking a couple of guys into either the Aurora or Sno-king drive in was a big deal. Burger you made us look like pikers.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

BCG ~ Do you remember the name of the drive-ins there along what is now 520, just
east of where Burgermaster sits ? I trust Burgermaster is still there ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

That drive in was the Bel-Kirk closed in 1986.

Burger master is alive and well. I have eaten there recently. Their food is always well above the normal fast food joints. The car hops no longer use roller skates due to too many L&I injuries. Sadly the short skirts have gone away too. The next time you venture to the right side of the state I will treat you to a burger and fries.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:47 am:

I pushed many a burger out the door at Burgermaster while going to college.
It always has had pretty good chow for a drive-in burger joint. One of the most
fun jobs I ever had. The crew was awesome and we always had a good time.
Not many jobs I have had where I looked forward to going to work. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration