What do you think?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What do you think?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 09:34 am:

I took a bunch of these

and made them into these

But the wife thinks they should be more polished like this

Which would be more correct for the era?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Where will these little carriage bolts go?
Are they brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:01 am:

The highly polished won't take paint as well, and the paint can chip off. Leave the machined finish or grinding finish on to provide bite for the primer and paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Keith,no they are not brass some of them will go to the running boards and fenders but most will be used for the 26 Buick almost everything on that car has modern hex bolts so I am putting these where needed, and I'll have a couple of extras to replace the ones I loose:-)
That's what I was thinking Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

If they really show and you think the grinding marks will show though the paint, make them smooth and bead blast before painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

GR-
Are they zinc plated? After I take of the markings, I always "wash" my zinc plate bolts with muriatic acid, then neutralize them with baking soda and water. Dry them off immediately and prime and/or paint them.

Does the '26 Buick use square nuts with carriage bolts, like on the Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I do the same as Keith to remove the plating, then I prep the pieces with DuPont 5717-S. It contains phosphoric acid that etches the surface so paint will stick, and acts to prevent rust. You've removed the plating where you ground off the markings, but any that's left elsewhere will shed paint if you don't get rid of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Coca Cola and pretty much all soda contains phosphoric acid too. :-) We used it where I used to work to de-black stainless after welding it. It etches steel and with a little electric current applied makes stainless silver again, what does it do in soda pop?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration