Old Photo - Main Street, Ranger Texas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Main Street, Ranger Texas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Just a few years, maybe about 10 before I was born. I rarely saw any horses on the same streets with cars. Those intersections must have been a traffic nightmare.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Imagine the mud when it rained! This had to be quite a time back then with so much fast progress happening in such a short period of time. Looks to be in the late 20's? While the horses are definitely outnumbered, kind of interesting that there's any there at all. Guess some folks were either too hard up to "go auto" or just too plain stubborn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Tim - Good point about the mud! Something else to consider, is that after all those years and all those horse drawn vehicles,......well,.....lets just say,....."it ain't all mud"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

That was at the height of Rangers oil boom a little over 20000 people but by 1930 only 6000 and today only about 1000 families, almost a ghost Town with the exception of Ranger College just out of town. This shot is one block over from the Ford dealership. I called on a little lumber yard that used the space for a while in the late 1990's. It was like walking back in time. A long narrow show room and small shop in the rear. If you close your eyes you can almost smell the "mud" still today. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Here is the same intersection now:

The bank is hidden by the tree on the left but most of the rather large buildings are gone.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

I had a hunting lease outside of Ranger for years. Bought supplies and had an account at the feed store. In its time Ranger was a happening place. Not so much anymore. That being said it is a nice friendly town and would not be a bad place to live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I LOVE these old pics, especially when there is a "before" and "after" post. Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration