Texas T Disk Brakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Texas T Disk Brakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

How are the Texas T disk brakes holding up? How about other brands on the market? I've been reading lots of posts on this but most are several years old. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I put a set on a 24 coup last year, LOVE them. But you have to remember that you still only have two small friction areas on the road.... Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I have one the original sets made by Bill Tharp in CO., they are working well.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

These things are great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Easy to install. However they make you mumble a lot bleeding them. Really give you more confidence driving. But yes, you are still only braking on one axle on skinny hard tires. Normal driving they work great. The car did get a little squirrely with a hard stop (light turned yellow) on a wet street just after a rain.
I have them on a 21 touring, with 21" wood wheels with 475 tires. I bought the flexible brake line option, so the brake likes in the kit were way too long, probably would have been too long without the flex line's extra length. Shorter replacements were easy to get and inexpensive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Doug is right, they will drive you to drink bleeding them, then boom you have good pedal. I know they are not for everyone but I love them and saved me when four young girls in a Mustang convertible rang a stop sign and pulled out right in front of me. They install entirely with bolts, no drilling or welding with the exception of the brake pedal tab and can be removed leaving no trace they were ever there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I put a set on a friend's 26 pick-up and he loves them. The limiting factor is still the tires but these put maximum stopping power to the back wheels. Along with bleeding, you need to ensure that there is no end play on your axles, because end play can move the pads away from the disc requiring you to pump the brake pedal once. The other major advantage is that they stop just as effectively in reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

The appearance may be embarrassing to some but in town driving with traffic bumper to bumper including red lights at every block, I like them... They can give you more confidence than you may need when it comes to stopping....but like Doug stated, wet roads will get you if not paying attention.... I was driving a few months ago around 35 mph and a light went yellow and I tried to stop before it turned red and just slid right thru the red light.... first I was going to fast for wet roads and second there isn't enough rubber on the road for two tires to stop when wet..... I don't have two worry about over heating the band/drum and adjusting it anymore.... I backed off on it when I installed the disc brakes... they are worth the money if you drive in an area like I do or even up and down hills.... ugly but grate....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Just came back from a tour where a very nice 1911 T with subject brakes ran in to modern iron that pulled in front and quickly stopped. The Texas T brakes worked great and the wheels locked up until the big "Crunch". Messed up the brass right front lamp and damaged an expensive radiator core. No one was hurt and the model T finished the tour.
Being able to skid your back tires may not keep you from stopping in time to prevent an accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:55 am:

What Les is saying is something that needs to be stressed - you can add more horsepower or more brakes to any Model T. It will still be a Model T, and you still need to drive at Model T speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

You need Front wheel Brakes!!

Skidding the tires allows the car to go faster not stop quicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

I agree with Royce but also like knowing if something breaks in the driveline I will still have brakes. I still drive with care in the 20 to 30 mph range. It is the added safety factor that appeals to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

I agree with Gene.... now if there was only a set available....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

The panic stop is much less a concern than the Montana mountain roads I drive on. Long very steep runs with switchbacks are the driving problems I run into. By long I mean miles down hill at a time. This is my interest in disk brakes. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

No matter what you do for brakes, you are still going to have 30 X 3 1/2s on the road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Pat -- I have put the discs on two Model T's (including my current driver) and have driven with them for thousands of miles, and I can tell you that the difference between them and stock T brakes is like day and night. But as others have said, you still have only rear wheel brakes, unlike a modern car. They would serve you well in your situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Pat, they won't fade like Rockies and you can ride them if needed, there are similar roads here in east Tennessee.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Remember bleeding the caliper the bleed hole has to be at the top or up.
When I first installed home builds I found removing the calipers turning them over with the bleed hole at the top a few pumps on the master to start the brake juice flowing then just wait until the bubbles stop close the bleed valve and two bolts to install with the caliper turned to the correct position. Another advantage is possibly holding the axle on with the caliper if it brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Osburn on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

It is much easier to bleed the brakes if you jack the front of the car up as high as you can.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration