Removing cam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing cam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

I want to replace my cam with the engine in the car. Is there a hole in the adjustable lifters that I can put a nail through to hold them up? Thanks Al

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

No, only in some solid lifters. You may use some type of clamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Remove the valve springs and hold them up with clothespins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

The head has to be off, but what Ted says is how I do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

You may be able to put air pressure in each cylinder and compress the valve springs enough to remove the keepers with out removing the head. Has anyone tried this short cut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:00 am:

You could get the pin out but you would have to remove the cup using air pressure to hold the valve closed. The hole in the cup is smaller then the push rod so you would still have spring pressure on the lifter. You would need the screw turned all the way down if they are adjustable lifters, even then my not be enough room to tip the cup out. If you could get that far you would still have to contend with the length of the spring, getting it up out of the way and putting a close pin on the lifter to hold it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Sounds like much less trouble just removing the head :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:27 am:

No need to take the head off. You have the manifolds off so just lift the valves up and with something of your own making, jam them up through the ports, and peg the lifters up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Its easier to just take the head off IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I don' think there's a garage on earth where mechanics don't pressurize the cylinders with air to change valve springs and seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Albert-

I'm with Royce. I'd suggest you take the head off. Not because it is easier, but so you can inspect the valves and see if they need to be touched up a little.

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration