Model T Air Pump rebuilding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Air Pump rebuilding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Anyone know if the Model T Ford script tire pumps can be rebuilt to pump air? Or are they just wall hangers? Thanks - Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:29 am:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2338RK.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I rebuilt mine using the kit, but the pump was missing its check valve and the kit didn't come with one, so I bought the add-on check valve that the vendors offer, it works fine. The price varies with different vendors, so it pays to do some shopping.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2338CV.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

In the past, tire pump leather cups were always available at the local hardware store. Within the past 25 years they have become hard to find.

The Langs kit is overkill. It's too bad they don't sell the parts individually, especially if all you need is the leather cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Most of the pumps just need the leather cup to be back working. (and a good cleaning. Just google "leather air pump cup" I got over 6,000,000 hits

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

I get leather scraps free from a local saddle shop. The obstacle to a good pump for me is the lack of a check valve. I think I'm going to try making them for my pumps. Mister thrifty hates the idea of paying big bucks for a little bit of brass. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Thanks everyone - all that gets me in the right direction. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Not too many years ago, you could buy a check valve at almost any good hardware store. The last four hardware stores I tried (as well as three other automotive supply stores), I couldn't even find anyone that knew what a check valve was.
Disgusting.
I also made my own. Buying the right thing would have been cheaper, if any of them had it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

The Bridgeport pumps have a check valve between the two stages. I have one that is missing that part. I have two others, but haven't bothered to check them. Too busy with other stuff. There was a guy a few years back called Clay Atkins who had the pump leathers. Wouldn't surprise me if he got them from the local farm supply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Those tire pumps also work great for pumping up footballs unless your from New England.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration