Beware the outside oil line!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Beware the outside oil line!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

A few weeks ago I installed an outside oil line. Not a problem with that. Today the nuts holding the inner brass rod that rests on the magneto came off and the brass rod dropped into my transmission. Made a bit of noise inside the tranny. And of course without the brass piece in the middle the oil came shooting out the top all over the bottom of my floorboards and onto the exhaust pipe. Now I have to go fishing inside the tranny to find the brass rod.

I did not lose enough oil to hurt the engine and I do not think the engine was damaged.

I also have to state that there is no magneto inside the transmission. I have a distributor, so the coils and magnets were removed from the engine when it was built. If they were still in place this probably would not have happened.

Good thing my touring has just been finished so I will still have a T to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Dave

Was this the magneto post oiler or the type that you have to drill a hole in the hogshead ??

Sorry for your problem - hope all turns out well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Magneto post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

That brass rod is spring loaded to make contact with the magneto terminal. The vibration probably dislodged it because it was just hanging. Were you able to find the spring? Without a magneto, the brass rod will probably just sit on the bottom of the crankcase and not cause a problem. The spring also is so small that it probably won't cause a problem. You can just replace the fitting and run without the brass connector since you don't have a magneto. Maybe if you are lucky the brass will work down to the low point and when you drain the oil, you can find it or maybe will just fall out.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Big bummer for sure. Sorry dude.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

The brass parts (not being magnetic) may flush out if you drain the oil (about a 50-50 chance, maybe worth it). The spring (is magnetic) and may or may not have stayed with the brass parts, which may or may not be heavy enough to keep it away from the magnets if there are any.
Good luck!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Glad to hear it wasn't worse!

I had a mag post outside oiler on the drivers side of the engine shear off at the hollow bolt on the front of the engine.The line was copper and had no supports along it's run to dampen vibration which eventually crystallized the tubing where it meet the block. Luckily someone at a stop light pointed out that the engine was spurting oil and I was able to fix the problem before the engine ran out of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Norm

The brass rod is broken into 3 pieces. I found 2 of them when I drained the oil, including the biggest piece. I see no spring. I wonder if now I have to remove the inspection cover, too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Hey Dave, hate to hear this, but the worst is probably over. I would definitely pull the inspection cover, if you have a screen up there you might find the spring or rest of the brass? I would leave the oil drain plug out and try running a flexible magnet down through the top and possibly pick up the spring or push the left over brass to the drain. maybe even try some compressed air to send it to the drain hole. Good luck, as other said the worst is probably over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Sorry Dave, as others have said, maybe no harm. Still frustrating and a mess. Good luck,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Last fall I had a similar issue with mine, on the '20, no magneto (tru-fire), while doing an inspection of things, I noticed the top nut on the magneto post was loose and a slight amount of oil leaking. So I tightened it. Too much! Snap went the little brass post. Ohhhhh, crap. Well long story short, I got lucky, the little brass post fell into the funnel of the inside oil line, so I was able to fish it out with my "grabby probe" thing. Gooped up the now open hole in the magneto post/outside oiler fitting with that high oil resistant black RTV and been doing okay ever since. Sometimes things work out.

So Norm, peek inside the magneto mounting hole and check to see if maybe that last piece is in your oil funnel too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:53 am:

The worst part of all this was while I was parked there a man from the University stopped by and asked me if I would be willing and able to drive into the stadium at the next football game. We are talking Camp Randall at the University of Wisconsin with 78000 fans. ARGGGGH

Gotta get this fixed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:05 am:

While you're searching for the missing pieces, also check inside the bendix cover. I dropped a band adjusting nut into the transmission when I was a teenager, and found it later, inside the bendix cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Not having a magneto in my speedster, before I installed my mag post oil line, I disassembled the post, and cut off the spring loaded mag contact tube, and removed the spring. I didn't want any obstruction hindering oil flow to the post. Glad I did, as now I don't need to worry about it falling into my transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:33 am:

I would like you all to know that I think I have found all the pieces. The three brass pieces that broke in the transmission and the spring. The spring was still inside the larger brass piece, so my Speedster should be good to go again. The pieces were all in the bottom of the tranny. I just had to dig in that little space under the spacer to find the last piece. I cut both ends off the middle piece to make sure the spring was accounted for.

Call this a learning situation. I hope others have learned from it to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Glad to hear it! Sometimes things just go your way. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration