Looked at a 1927 Touring today!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looked at a 1927 Touring today!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Went to look at what may or may not be a 1927 touring car today. Here is the link to stuff previously discussed before today.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/571658.html?1442506015

Although it looks nice in pictures and everything is there, it appears to be hiding some damaged sheet metal under a lot of bondo, mostly rust around the entire bottom of the body. Especially under the rear wheel wells. It also looked like a ribbon of steel was welded into the rockers.

Other notables were no frame serial number and the engine was stamped 9462870 which I think is a much earlier engine. The head does have the Ford script and "made in USA". Had a crack in the window, rough plywood floor, cracked tires, top coming untacked from body, and othe cosmetic flaws. All in all just an older restoration without a lot of detail to the underside.

The frame and driveline all look clean and straight. The issues I have are the gas tank cap is seized VERY tight to the tank. The shutoff valve is seized too with hardened varnish oozing out of it and pooling by the carb. So starting it was out of the question. No radiator fluid present either.

I was told it was a running car but it clearly has been sitting for an untold time and there are a lot of unknowns about it's whole mechanical system. It does however turn over freely and the starter does work (no key present)

So the advertised price is $6500 but after seeing it that is too much for me to deal with unless he's willing to come down a fair amount. My personal feeling is about $3-3500 in it's unknown condition but I don't want to insult the guy either. Is that fair for an old restoration not running? He wasn't present but apparently needs to clean out some warehouse space and the previous tenant left it with papers.

I think it speaks of early 1926 with the headlights mounted on the fenders, no frame serial number, wood spokes, black radiator shell, and step in cowl by door. It did have steel plates over the door thresholds, not aluminum.

It was fun to sit in. A little small up front compared to my old TT Closed Cab, but I still could fit comfortably enough, just can't stretch out. Back seat was cool, kind of sitting up from the front passengers. There was a bunch of extra bands, hardware, oil, tools, and jacks thrown under the seats. Also has a MTFCA sticker in the window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Engine varnish
Coil
Front seat
RR wheel well rust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Kyle, I have been gone a couple days so have been slow to answer. The step plates styles are aluminum/early 1926, steel/late 26 possible early 27, and steel step plate that also forms the outer rocker/body panel for 1927. The step in cowl is also a 1926 feature. There are lots of other tell tale signs we can look into, at a later time, if you want to. The engine number is 1924 so it has been changed. From what you say about the body work and misc items I personally would not want to give more than 4000.00 for it .. But that is just my opinion for what little it may be worth. The gas tank will have to come out for sure and at least have a good cleaning. Then the carb is also probably gummed up. But it still seems to have been a fairly nice car. I think I also see some rocky mountain brakes on it .. Changing from distributor back to coils is not a real hard change (if the mag still works) or just run the distributor for awhile. Finding and rebuilding a good useable set of coils is the biggest expense (if the mag works) I have seen several very nice model Ts sell on E-Bay in the 7000 to 8000 dollar range in the last several months. The only problem with most e-bay deals is they never seem to be close to home ... Good luck in your search. Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Looks like a decent early 26 touring car. The price is reasonable if there are no major problems with it. When people tell you what something is worth, that means what they themselves would pay for it. If it was for sale at that price, it would already be sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Kyle,

That much rust in the body would keep me from buying that car at any price. Name any problem on a Model T, and it will be easier to fix that than it would be to fix a totally rusted out bondo filled body.

There are always good cars available at a decent price. You ought to be able to get a good drivable '26 - 27 touring for $12,000 or less that needs nothing except a driver. How about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-4-Door-/141778842603?forcerrptr=true&hash=i tem2102ad73eb&item=141778842603

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Kyle,

This one is even closer to you, and in decent shape at a nice price. I realize it is not a '26 / 27, but in my opinion it is a better car to drive and seems ready to enjoy now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-4-Door-/141778842603?forcerrptr=true&hash=i tem2102ad73eb&item=141778842603

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Donnie, not having the coils or magnets makes it a bummer for me. I think I would convert it back at some point.

Erik, my thought exactly.

Royce, the green one in Mass. is a nice car. I'll have to follow it. Not sure what the other car you referred to is. The link is the same as the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Kyle,

It was supposed to be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-22-FORD-MODEL-T-/131605693302?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1ea44f8376&item=131605693302

(Message edited by royce on September 20, 2015)

(Message edited by royce on September 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Grr....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-22-FORD-MODEL-T-/131605693302?forcerrptr=tr ue&hash=item1ea44f8376&item=131605693302

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration