Heinze coil box on Ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Heinze coil box on Ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Hello all,

I just found this coil box on Ebay and have a few questions about it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321857665504?item=321857665504&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

First, I have no Idea about the right price for this kind of box and coils.
On the photos I think I can see that the coil contact points are bridged (asked seller questions about it). If so The coil box should be used with a master coil. What master coil was used with these coils?
Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Two more photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

That box does not need a master coil. The Heinze coils are problematic however and that is why someone must have set it up for a master coil. I understand that they are making new coils to replace them but I do not know if they are as good as the standard Ford coils. I ran a Heinze box in my '12 for years but it was always a weak point so eventually I made a box that was dimensionally larger to accept the standard Ford coils and used the hardware and switch from my original box and have been running that way for many years. Without a very sharp eye or a measuring tape you can't tell the difference unless the two boxes are next to each other. It looks to me like the switch on that box is a reproduction and there is something funny with the box itself as there are extra holes drilled in it and it looks to me like someone took an earlier non Ford box and put a Ford box top on it. I don't have access to my correct box so I am only going from memory but I do have have an earlier non Ford Heinze box on another car of mine that used coils with a bottom contact that cam through the floor of the box. Also. The mounting brackets are missing and it looks like there might have been two different types of brackets used on that box at one point. I would ask the seller for a picture of the bottom of that box to be sure. As far as value is concerned you see a lot of them for sale and I assume it is because they were replaced with something that was more reliable. They seem to be priced from $300 to $600 depending on the condition of the box, switch and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Val,
I rebuild a few master coils and a few of these coils. The problem with the coils is about always the secondary coil.
What I do is: I take a good coil set of a Ford coil and build it in the box with a new capacitor, new points and hardware on the top. The coils work well but are hard to set up right.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

The Heinze coils, if properly set up, will run the car just fine. I personally know many folks who, after getting their coils properly rebuilt and learning to adjust them correctly, regularly tour with them. One fellow often runs Pike's Peak with his (rebuilt) original 1912 Heinze. Another fellow in FL owns three 1911 Ts and runs (not "displays"--runs) Heinze on all of them.

The most frequently encountered issue with original coils is, as Andre says, that the original silk-wrapped secondary windings are frequently open. Enameled wire is much better. But open originals can be replaced.

Probably the biggest problem is that they are different from the later Ford/KW coils and this often throws folks who try to apply the KW methods to the Heinze, get them all out of whack and then give up on them, putting a later box or cobbling later coils to fit the early box. It looks like this is what was being attempted on the box in question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Val and R.V.Anderson,
I only tried the early coils (before 1914) in a HCCT and on a static engine not while driving but I have two 1914 Heinze coils (and two Ford coils) in the 1926 touring for all the season now and can't say I can feel any difference in driving. The two Heinze coils where different to set up but once done they work as well as the others.
Here are photos of how I rebuild them.

I replaced the secondary winding with a Ford winding and set a new capacitor in it.
I wonder if the replacement secondary coils, some part suppliers offer, are good to replace the bad Heinze winding??

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Andre-
Nice looking work on your col rebuilding.

I agree with what RV and Val said about that coil box. It looks like someone tried to adapt it to later coils by moving the contacts on the back and adding the contact strip on the bottom. Maybe they got that far then realized the later coils are larger front to back and then gave up.

The lid looks goofy because it is on backwards.

Price seems a little high, but I'm cheap!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 07:49 am:

Most of these boxes in good condition with the coils have been selling in that range.

That appears to be a new switch which, alone, sells for 238.95 at Langs...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration