Steering shaft Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering shaft Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

When rebuilding the steering shaft , where does the stop pin [one of 3 that goes in slot in the case ] goes in relation to the key at bottom of shaft?

thank you .Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

on my 24' it's opposite the keyway slot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Bob, are you sure. My aged brain thinks the slot in the steering box at the top of the column is on the bottom of the case. The keyway in the pitman arm is in line with the arm, which points down. This means that the pin in the shaft is on the same side as the key. Perhaps I have the slot in the box in the wrong place. Or, perhaps your column has been rebuilt with the box the other way up??

Others will help.
Allan from down under, I think!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:12 am:

My unrestored 26/27 columns has the slot up and the keyway down as Bob says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 06:27 am:

Allen, I had recently changed my original shaft out for one of the new 5:1 ratio kits and still have the original shaft on the floor. I just looked at it again and mine is like I'd stated above. BTW, the car drive so much better with the 5:1 ratio!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Looks like I do have the slot in the box in the wrong half. Sorry folks. I didn't have one still in a column to check on, so had to rely on my memory, not a wise decision!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Key way in lower steering shaft is indexed on the centerline between the two short pinion pins on the upper end.

That is the longer pinion pin is on the opposite side of the key way for the pitman arm as posted,

The steering case is placed in the column with the slot for that longer pinion pin positioned up.

5:1 case on left (longest slot), 4:1 case on right

Another way is to remember when placing the steering case back in the column to be sure the threaded hole for the lock screw is up!

About to whack home the re-plated case in the wrong position! Do check first before striking.

Case fitted proper, little threaded hole up, that is right, and the slot in the case will be up too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Looking in my spare parts found one with no slot
any info on the year ?
Thank you all great info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

The slot was added by the end of 1921, so your gear case is earlier Lorenzo. Nickel plating was first added in 1917 and according to the encyclopedia the gear cases were zinc plated in 1919, but I don't think I've seen any?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration