HI I need some advice on these 2 issues....Please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: HI I need some advice on these 2 issues....Please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Ventrice on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I own a 1922 Ford Model T touring and its been running pretty good, a new radiator has been installed last year so now no overheating but the past month its been hard starting up from cold and when I touch the key in the ignition then she starts up. I took the ignition off and doublechecked if any loose wires but nothing. Could it be the ignition is no good and if so what should I replace? Also lately the water from the radiator has been coming out of the access line everytime I drive it and leaves a puddle on the ground, never did this before? I have been asking around here but nobody seems to want to help me. I appreciate whatever you can share. I am learning the model t and not too familiar yet but I am learning, Thanks Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Is the ignition switch original or is it a replacement? I have a replacement switch in mine and sometimes it fails to make contact. When this happens I just wiggle it and get a buzz. I live with it because I'm too lazy to fool around with it. You might try a new switch.

2. Do you often add water to the radiator? If so, it's probably just overflowing the excess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:10 am:

The intermittent ignition cured by jiggling the key is likely due to poor contacts inside the switch. Sometimes this is caused by the old backing plate being warped. That can often be cured by sanding it flat.

If this is what's wrong and sanding doesn't fix it, you'll have to get a new back piece for about $36.

Coolant coming out of the overflow may be just the normal result of overfilling the radiator. You said water, but I hope you have antifreeze in it. Not just because of the freezing weather in New York, but perhaps more importantly to prevent rust. Distilled water instead of tap water is a good idea too. That prevents mineral build-up in the cooling system. The coolant level should be just high enough to cover the tubes, but if you get it a little higher it's no big problem. The car will just barf the excess out through the overflow tube. That may be what you're experiencing. A roaring boil with steam shooting out is a problem, but a bit of gurgling after a drive is normal. From your description I'm guessing you're OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Anthony,

When you say the radiator "access line", do you mean the overflow tube? If so, it's possible that Henry's advice is the case. If you fill the radiator to the top, or close to it, and the coolant warms up some, it will expand and come out of the overflow tube. It will do this until the radiator reaches the level that it "likes", then it will stop. The correct level turns out to be just about even with the Ford logo on the front of the radiator.

OR, it could be that the tube has a hole corroded in it somewhere below the water line and coolant is leaking out that way. In that case, the overflow tube needs to be replaced.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration