Removing the HogsHead while enigne is in the car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing the HogsHead while enigne is in the car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

After I bought the car, and finally got it going,. I heard a rattling noise in the engine every now and then made noting of it. last year my magneto stop working, after searching the web/on line I decided to replace the mag post, That's when I saw a piece of what looked like aluminum rectangular washer/metal piece as I went to try and pry it out it fell back in.. I'm now trying to remove the hogshead to get the part out, I took the starter, two of the pedals are also out. Now I’m ready to remove the screws surrounding the hogshead. but how do I remove/pull out the bottom/clutch pin. “I hoping I can up load the picture”..mod-t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

You don't need to remove anything else. Just unbolt the hogshead and pull it up & off.

(Don't forget to remove all 4 bolts around your 4th main as well.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

is this part connected to the hogshead..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

RVB, you may have pried the contact for the mag post to mag coils off. If that's the case, prepare to pull your engine. That "aluminum" piece was the contact for the mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Yup, it's connected to the hogshead and will come off with it. It'll be obvious once everything starts to come off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

At any rate, pull all the bolts including the four in back. Then grab ahold of the hogs head and give it a good pull. You're pulling the pedal shafts out of the bands as well as the yoke out of the clutch. And probably some rtv loose from the gaskets. There is no shaft that needs to be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

A Ford Model T Service Manual comes in real handy for working on a T. I learned a lot from reading and looking at the illustrations that show the inner workings of a T engine.

The most important thing to me was learning to understand about WHAT NOT TO DO working on and trying to repair the various parts.

I learned the hard way a time or two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Whew.. I got it off.. I have several question's

1. Are these parts one of the magnets – Pic-1

2. At the top where the Mag post connect/taps into Pic-2 should that part connect with both the magnets or is mines crack.

3. The car ran without these parts/Magnets, it just rattling noise.. I know there needed but can I put the hogs head back on and drive the rest of this season.? And take my time during the off season. Or an I toast..

Pic-1

pic-2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

PLEASE -

For your sake (and the sake of the engine/transmission)..

DO NOT even start that engine until more knowledgeable folks come on and tell you what MAY happen if you do.

It is not exactly toast - yet....

but it is seriously SICK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Sorry to inform you but those parts you fished out of the crankcase are the keepers which hold the magnet poles to the flywheel held by the brass screws you can see in the bottom picture.

You will need to pull the entire engine and transmission out of the car and rebuild the magneto. There might be other issues with the engine and transmission. It would be a good idea to check everything while it is out and rebuild anything which needs attention.

At the very least you will need a rebuilt magneto coil unit. Also all the magnets need to be removed from the flywheel and checked for cracks. If any are cracked they will need replacing. Note the magnets are north south south north north south etc. That is the two north poles are together with the keeper and alternate polarity all the way around the flywheel. The magnets will need to be magnetized and the level set to protrude equally from the flywheel.

Get the booklet from the club, "electrical system" which will explain how the magneto works and how to rebuild it. You can rewind your own magneto coils or purchase one from one of the vendors.

Even if you decide to remove the magneto and use a distributor, you will still need to pull the engine to remove the magneto, so you might as well rebuild it while you have the engine out.

The likely cause of your problem might be too close clearance between the magnets and the coils, or metal fatigue of the brass screws which hold the keepers in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

While you're waiting, read this if you care to:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/556551.html?1437283647

This MAY happen to you:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Those loose pieces go here:

Without them in place, you risk breaking a magnet while the engine is running. That will go off like a bomb and bust everything to kingdom come. Fix it now, while it's easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

RVB, if it's any consolation the mag post contact is still there but it doesn't matter. You'll probably be purchasing a new mag coil ring anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Looks like things are coming apart! Don't run it anymore and pull the engine to replace the mag ring and the flywheel magnets.
If you don't have one already buy the Ford service manual and read and re read it. Also the manual for the transmission that is available from this website is really helpful.

While you have the engine apart it would be a good idea to check out the transmission drums for any cracks.

Good luck and read those T manuals!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

RVB Dave is correct. Not toast yet but very, very, sick .. Please read the link Dave posted above, and also the link in the link. It should explain the importance of not starting the engine again. Submitted with respect, Donnie Brown ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration