Million Dollar View Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Million Dollar View Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Sunday, Sept 20, 2015, 21 members of the CNHMTC gathered at 8am for coffee and donuts at the Merrimack Valley Tire garage, where we met up with Ken, Paul and Steve LeBlanc, our hosts and tour guides. But the day for Arthur Aznive and myself started much earlier as we planned on driving our 1926 Model T Ford coupes from my house the 40 miles to Haverhill before the tour officially starts. That meant leaving Dunbarton before 7am and going through the Queen City in order to pick up NH Route 121 for most of the trip down to Haverhill.
Merrimack Valley Tire, start of MDVT
Ken and Sandra led the tour, departing at 8:40 and traveling through Haverhill to Groveland, Georgetown, Rowley, Ipswich, Essex, and Gloucester, then traveling along the coast we arrived at Hammond Castle where we stopped for a very interesting and informative visit, the cost of $10 per person was generously paid by the Central New Hampshire Model T Club for its members. On our visit to Hammond Castle we were immensely entertained by our tour guide with his stories and facts about John Hammond while we explored the great hall, indoor courtyard (which had the ability to create any kind of weather indoors, including sun & moon raising and setting), the Renaissance dining room, two guest bedrooms, the inventions exhibit room, the library, the War room as well as several smaller rooms and passage ways including a secret passageway. We also enjoyed the beauty of the castle grounds and a view of the Atlantic shore line.
Hammond Castle
After visiting the Castle we traveled back up the coast through Stage Fort Park, past the Fishermen’s Wives Memorial and the Fishermen’s Memorial, statues located on the Stacy Boulevard Esplanade near the intersection of routes 127 and 133. We continued up Route 127 into Rockport driving out onto a stone pier where we enjoyed our picnic lunches. The Rockport Granite Company shipped millions of tons of cut Granite stone and paving blocks from this pier on large schooners and stone sloops.

After lunch we continued up the coast along Route 127 around Cape Anne and back to Gloucester. Picking up Route 133 for our return trip to Ipswich where we made the mandatory ice cream stop at the White Cow. From here we traveled up Route 1A to Newburyport, picking up Route 113 and crossing the Merrimack River into Amesbury, where we followed along the river back to Haverhill seeing some Buffalo along the way.
Thank you, Ken & Sandra, Paul & Marilyn, Steve & Ann, for a perfect day and perfect tour.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: I believe Arthur Aznive deserves "a tip of the cap" for driving the furthest distance in his Model T.

Rockport, Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Since I'm not from your area, was this all in NH?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Jerry, no the tour was in Massachusetts, thanks for asking.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

You went by Woodman's in Essex and didn't stop?
Shame on you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Fred, what can I say except " there are only so many hours in a day" and traveling all around Cape Ann there are just to many places to chews from. Have you ever been to the Hammond Castle? It's a fascinating place to visit.

Happy motoring,

Warren

can you find the bath room door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I love the Hammond Castle.
John Hays Hammond, Jr. built his medieval-style castle between the years 1926 and 1929. In addition to being his home, the building housed the Hammond Research Corporation, from which Dr. Hammond produced over 400 patents and the ideas for over 800 inventions. Second only to Thomas Alva Edison in number of patents, John Hammond was one of America's premier inventors. His most important work was the development of remote control via radio waves, which earned him the title, "The Father of Remote Control."
www.hammondcastle.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Man ...

I gotta stop & visit this place.

It turns out to be somewhat famous for being haunted as well ...

# http://paranormalstories.blogspot.com/2012/11/sneak-peek-tuesday-ghost-hunters.h tml

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Isn't the spiral staircase going the wrong way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:04 am:

No, it goes up as well as down. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:08 am:

Nope, looks to me like it goes up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Two heads with a single thought.

I believe they turn in the other direction in the southern hemisphere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 08:21 am:

We had a really great time on the tour. The stairs were narrow and steep, so you better hold on to the rope. Here is a short video I made when we were doing our test drive for the tour. See if you can find the '37 Ford coupe and the statues of the Fisherman and wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9rL7THvjxM

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Warren - I haven't been to Hammond castle.
I am afraid of ghosts and goblins.

I can tell that it is impossible to slide down the pole or banister on those circular stairs.

Also, I don't see a garage or barn so living there would be impractical. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Surely Fred, your not afraid of a couple of ghosts. It is believed Hammond and his wife haunt the building. Their spirits have often been seen throughout Hammond Castle. Items disappear, reappear and move on their own. Voices are heard in the circular library as well as other rooms. A ghostly red-haired woman and other spirits appears among guests during weddings and ,disappears whenever anyone gets too close to them. A shadow figure is seen on the balcony above the organ. We did not get to see it but were told there was a garage.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

So where was the "Million Dollar View"? Did anyone get pics of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Mike, that one taken in Rockport looks like a million dollar view to me, but to each his (her) own and don't forget sharing these views with all your club members and friends (priceless). Here are a few more.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Gloucester by the sea
I think I can see Ireland
This could be worth a million dollars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Spiral staircases were built to go the other way to give a right handed defender the advantage as he backs up the steps. So this one is backwards, or the pistol has been selected in place of a sword.

You get on a horse from the left side so your scabbard doesn't get in the way.

You drive a T from the left side, or the right side, depending on where the steering wheel is.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Thanks Steve, I did not know that. The Hammond Castle was built between 1926 & 1929, so maybe John Hammond was not a swordsman. He was supposed to be an expert on med-evil castles.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Great pics, thanks. Again, more great memories of areas we used to tour in. (non T, New Hampshire Volkswagen Club and Boston Area MG Club)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Warren,

I am, sadly, a bastion of useless knowledge.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Maybe Hammond was left handed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Mike W.,

Good enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Jerry

I have four or five of those somewhere around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Dearest friend Fred, old buddy, old pal, I have never seen one of those is any way you could send one of the ones you have lying around somewhere for me to have.

With my undying gratitude,

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Steve, I have heard that "knowledge is power" therefore no knowledge is wasteful.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration