Model T comes home for birthday celebration at Piquette

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T comes home for birthday celebration at Piquette
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Article in the Detroit Free Press about car number 8367 returning to Piquette.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2015/09/20/rare-model-t-piquet te-plant-ford-birthday/72382690/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Wow. How cool is that. I love that place. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 09:17 am:

I love the idea of using the bike option on satnav to keep off major highways. Obviously needs care, might end up a bit narrow at times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:29 am:

I, too, love that place. In fact, I've recently taken advantage of SW Airline's $74 deal to fly back to that place from Austin, TX. Might also ride the train at Greenfield Village and watch tourists pay $5 for an 8 minute Model T ride..... which is really a good deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

George House
Detroit has a tremendous auto history. Ford of course is a significant part of the story, and there are many excellent regional places to visit. Gilmore Museum/Sloan museum/Detroit Institute of Arts/Ypsilanti/Auburn Ind/South Bend Studebaker and Oliver Museum/Ford Mills day drive/Detroit Public Library automotive collection/Benson Ford Research/Stahl automotive museum/arsenal of democracy museum/ Edsel Ford Mansion, just to name a few. You might consider saving the air ticket and attending the MTFCI convention in Dearborn in early 2016. They are having some really cool bus tours to unique places. Of course the Henry Ford Museum and Village are wonderful to visit anytime too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Thanks Jon. You've given excellent advice. I do want to see the Holsman at the Gilmore museum and, because I've restored a 1 cylinder REO, I also want to go to that museum in Lansing . Might have to plan on nearly 2 weeks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 04:03 am:

George
I moved to the area 25 years ago and am still discovering new auto related things to see and do.
Olds museum should have been on my list. Also the Detroit Historic Society Museum, and of course the Rouge Factory. Recently it was announced that a museum is planned at the Highland Park Plant where the majority of the T's were built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:27 am:

This 1909(8367) is pictured in Henry's wonderful Model T. By floyd Clymer. It was first restored by
Clifford W. Moyer. It was sold to Dr. Paul Morgan.It won the AACA glidden tour award in the late 40's.
In the middle 70's Donald Estep bought the car.
He did the car completly over. Arnold Sumpter did
the mechanical work. Gail Donavan did the upholstery. Don did the painting and the assembling and research.
The car has one of the rare aluminum bodies.
Don won a senior AAca award in the middle 70"s.
The car was them sold to Elmo and Barbara Wuterman. The car was given to the Muesum by their son.
Helping Don work on this car got me interested
in brass cars. I had a 1923 touring at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Thanks for the history Peter. The birthday party that will be at Piquette this Sunday was featured on the local news tonight.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.youtube.com/watc h%3Fv%3DxGXRo4IS-4g&ved=0CDAQtwIwB2oVChMIt5zM8fGQyAIVgXg-Ch11NwRY&usg=AFQjCNGqMV KB42NE6PvAsMJzmhVsZPxVTQ&sig2=96a_4y0G_EE6_FbjAcOhtA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:14 am:

If any of you are steam railroad buffs as I am, you can see the giant C&O Allegheny steam locomotive at the Ford museum. This is the largest (heaviest) steam locomotive ever built - yes, even heavier then the UP "Big Boys." After the then-C&O donated it, there was some discussion as to how to get it to the museum. The simplest method was chosen - it made the trip under it's own power. As it is stored inside under controlled conditions, it is probably still operable.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration