Who makes the best Triple Gear Sets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Who makes the best Triple Gear Sets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Am starting to make a list for my winter engine tear-down project. Can anyone suggest one set over an other as far as quality is concerned, or are they about the same ..Have only used a few vendors in the past, but i know there are a lot of great ones out there that i haven't...Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:41 am:

I'd contact Dave Huson...he always has some good ones available. I bought a set from him "just because" and they look like new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Are you talking about brand new triple gears? If so, I'm pretty sure there is only one manufacturer who supplies all the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Jerry, yes i was talking about new gears, and you are probably right about only being one manufacturer. I just looked at the pics of the gears from Langs and Snyders and you can read Gearles.com on both sets. I looked them up and it looks like a nice shop out of California. So I'll go with those i think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Tim, thanks for that tip also...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Why would you ever want to buy a new triple gear set? There is little wear issue. Bushings, yes...think bushings. There are plenty of usable triple gears available...both solid and laminated (rivited).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

John M.

Maybe John N. doesn't want to climb around swap meets looking a decent set. Don't know what you're referring to as "little wear issue". I've seen loads of used triple gears that are only good as paper weights. But yes, really good ones do show up sometimes. I buy all I can find of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Jerry,
Don't know what is wrong with Noonan's gears... maybe nothing but bushings. I have good ones...and apparently so do you. So they are out there. I can't imagine why anyone would produce new ones...at least economically. Admittedly I haven't checked Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Lang's offers a new set for $280. Bushings not included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

In my experience, triple gears with good gear profiles are hard to find, especially in a matched set as weights vary considerably. Many I see have pitting so finding a set I would use is not easy. I haven't had to purchase new gears yet as I purchased a number of transmissions thinking I was going to go into the business of rebuilding transmissions. My stock of good gears is now about gone and I haven't found any decent sets recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Don't forget about Dan McEachern's needle bearing triple gears.
If your hear about Dan's triple gear load calculations you will understand why they are superior to the original Ford design.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

John,

I am with Ron above...I put Dan's triple gear bearings and new pins in our trans during the rebuild and it works well.

TT

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:52 am:

The thought occurs to me that those needle bearings present a strong case for the importance of a magnet in the transmission cover screen. Imagine what a particle or two (or more) of ferrous metal could do if they got into those needle bearings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:50 am:

John:
Dan McEachern makes the best gears, sometimes you have to wait but it'd be worth it.
depending on how you intend on driving; the bronze bushings will work fine.
Problem with used gears is that the face of the gear flakes over time. Not everyone knows what to look for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

I would go with Dan McEachern triple needle bearing gears. I put a set in my brothers car about 7 years ago and you can't believe how smooth this transmission is, and quite. The only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

The bronze bushings will last a long time. These are going in a '23 engine now, original triple gears in great shape, the engine must have had low miles, as all the trans parts were nice and being re-used.

Reamed on KRW tools, then honed to .035" clearance on the new pins. Bronze in the T triple gears, bronze on the rear axle thrust washers IMO make for a factory fine running Ford. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Dan - Thirty five thousandths?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Why are those pins protruding through the bushings so far? Something is not correct for that to happen. Another Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Meant to post ".0035" Decimal deficiency :-).

Dan Mc. Those look OK to me, have always seen the pins above the bushings. Those bushings were also faced at .008" above the gear, per Ford spec of .006-.010" Can you explain?

Here is shot of another trans taken apart, used gears on the used bushings, and shows the pins above the ends of the pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks for all the input and info gents, greatly appreciated...Does Dan McEachern have a website, or do you just PM him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Notice on the inside of the recess cup of the fly wheel the three paddles deflecting oil under the triple gears on Dan's pictures. Late fly wheels I have seen the paddles were eliminated by Ford.
Wayne's pictures must be on a late fly wheel. A bit different material from what I understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Yes Paul V...late flywheel...on a 1927 !!
W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:26 am:

If you use new triple gears with old drum gears you wind up with a loud winning transmission. I build one with new gears and had to take it apart and install good used triple gears. That made the transmission quiet.
I also built a second transmission with all new drums and all new gears.That transmission is quiet. I used McEachern gears.
I will never mix old with new gears again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Well after some great advice here, decided to go with Dan's roller bearing triple gears. Received them today and they are very well made!...Thanks Dan.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration