1912 picture. Need answers!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1912 picture. Need answers!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

This great picture is from the City of Vancouver archives. It shows 2 of what I believe are 1911 right hand drive T's and some other great cars. I've got the link here so you can see the details better. Click on the picture and you get the full size version.
Here's the question. How come the under carriage on both T's appears to be much lighter than the body colour? I'm guessing that maybe the mud and dust has caused this but???
What do you think?
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/uploads/r/null/1/3/1358254/d7967a41-0890-4bb7 -b262-71d9acd0bfba-A03113.jpg

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

I think you're right. It's not just the Fords. The front axles on a couple of the other cars look like they've been on the same muddy roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Interesting mud, but I think that is what it is.
The big Packard 30 touring car, and several others are right hand drive. The Ford license 4687 I think is right hand drive. Model Ts (as well as a lot of non-Fords) often have an optical illusion that makes the steering wheel appear to be on the near side when it isn't. However, the horn is on the right side of the car, as is the acetylene generator (both those items are usually on the left on left hand drive cars). I think this car is a 1912. Something else interesting about this car, is that the tail-lamp is on the left side of the car. I am not the expert here, but I have read that right hand drive Ts often had the tail-lamp mounted on the right?? (For driving on the left?)? That, however, goes against most USA right hand drive cars of the era that did have their tail-lamps on the left side (but they were intended to drive on the right).
I guess I need some help from my Australian and Canadian friends.
Ford license number 4379 doesn't show which side the steering wheel is on.
USA or Canadian, this is a great photo showing pre-state-issue license plates. I can see two clearly, and a couple others a little bit. The "BC" I imagine is British Columbia (hence, Vancouver).
Great photo! Thanks Ken F. Hope I was some help.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:53 am:

deleted

(Message edited by royce on September 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:53 am:

The car on the right is earlier. Great photo!

The car on the left is a late 1912 slab side body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Grr......
The car on the right is earlier. Great photo

The car on the left is a late 1912 slab side body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Is it me, or does the right rear wheel on the car to the left look smaller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Keith:

I suspect it is wide angle lens distortion or just large lens distortion in general. First thing you generally notice is what it does to wheels. Sometimes they look much taller than wider depending on the angle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Thanks for all the input. I agree the car on the left is definitely a 12. The T on the right could be an 11 or early 12 judging by the door handle. In BC right hand drive Model T's were sold until at least 1916 and maybe up to 1922 when we changed over to driving on the right hand side of the road. My 11 T touring is a right hand drive car sold new in BC.
Ken

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration