O.T. Dehumidifier question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O.T. Dehumidifier question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:27 am:

I use a dehumidifier in my garage where I store my old cars. I had just been throwing the water out but I got to thinking (I know that's dangerous for me) there is very little dissolved minerals in that water. So I put some of the water in an old pan and proceeded to boil it dry and as expected there was very little residue. Could this water be used in place of distilled water provided the collection container is clean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:35 am:

Absolutely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Bear in mind that pure distilled water should never be used in a radiator. It is OK if mixed with a suitable amount of anti freeze.

Pure distilled water is excellent for topping off lead acid batteries, aquarium use, or for watering plants, for pets, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Ok Royce, I'll bite.

Why should we never use pure distilled water in a radiator? This has always been offered as a suitable alternative to tap water since it doesn't have dissolved minerals that can clog crevices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Because distilled water will super heat without boiling.

BUT your rad would have to be SUPER clean for this to happen. Here is a vid of super heated distilled water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

What I have read on the use of distilled water is: it will leach from the surrounding metals to reach a balance for the environment it's in. That's all I've got. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

G.R.

In theory your right, condensate water is essentially the same as distilled water, it just condenses out at a lower temperature.

In reality condensate water may have mold, mildew, dust and other particles in it. Certainly much better for your radiator than tap water.

However at $0.89 a gallon for distilled water why even fool with condensate? ;o)

A gallon of pure antifreeze and the remainder of distilled water is best (unless you need more freeze protection).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:48 am:

Bud: My dehumidifier also uses ultra-violet light (it was being discarded by a hospital) so I don't think mold or mildew is a problem, as for the $.89 this stuff is already here and I don't have to remember to pick it up at the store. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

The instruction sheet that came with my new Brassworks yesterday clearly stated to use distilled water. It then went on to say basically "its okay" to also use a 50/50 solution of ethylene glycol antifreeze. (I personally prefer propolyne glycol as it's pet friendly)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration