The Rise and Fall of Tin Lizzie film

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Rise and Fall of Tin Lizzie film
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Second attempt at posting, now using PC instead of tablet.

Getting family films sorted for DVD transfer, I found a Super 8 Blackhawk Films copy of this. Is it worth paying to get put on DVD or has it already been done? Google search just shows the film version for sale, only worth $10 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Not having ever seen the film, I couldn't speak for others, but I'd like to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 11:43 am:

It's not on YouTube is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

I googled the title and found a couple for sale but none on YouTube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Someone on this forum must have seen this. I need a review!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 01:46 am:

Time to set up the old film projector and dim the lights - it's fun using older technology again :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 02:27 am:

All I found about it online is that it's a twenty minute one-reeler made in 1923. Apparently it's available only in super 8 format. I think you'll need to do as Roger says and run it on a projector if you want to know what's in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:47 am:

I own the film on Super 8mm film that I converted to VHS about 15 years ago. It runs about 25 minutes or so. I like it, but it does have some problems, such as the scene running WAY too long where planks are placed in front of a Model T going through snow. That ate up a bunch of time. Factory assembly scenes jump all over the place in years. You won't learn anything new from this film, but there are plenty of Model T's in it! :-)
By the way, Blackhawk Films (Eastin-Phelan Corporation) was located right here in Davenport, Iowa, in the western downtown area. As a kid, I used to save up my allowance and grass-cutting money to buy $7.77 Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies on Standard 8mm film. I later stepped up to Super 8mm and Super 8mm sound films. I still have about 90% of them! The advent of VHS and other home entertainment media killed off the company in the early 1980's. VHS was cheaper and didn't require expensive projectors and screens = the death knell for film collectors. Too bad. I still prefer watching these films by the flickering projector light and in darkness. I could be back in 1928!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Thanks Marshall. My projector only handles little home 200ft reels, and it is forever jamming. it's expensive getting commercial DVD transfer, maybe I'll see if I can get a couple of people to share cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Jem, there's a company near me that might be able to do it cheaply. They copied a European format VHS to American format. The VHS was filmed in England and was entitled, 'The Fordson 500' about a Fordson tractor show in he UK. I still have the European format VHS which I can't play on my VHR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Jem -
I would loan you my VHS copy, but you folks across the "Big Pond" use PAL format. So my NTSC format will not work in your machines. Besides, copying VHS to VHS s*cks scissors big time = significant video signal quality drop off.
I guess we're back to the question of whether it would be worth your while to have the Super 8mm film in your possession converted to DVD. It all depends upon how much such a conversion costs. As I wrote, this is a good film, but not a great film. For Model T connoisseurs frequenting this website, factual errors and incorrect identifications found in the film might spoil its value. We know too much - exceptionwise. :-) If the conversion costs less than - say - $45, it might be worth your while, especially if you can spread the cost amongst yourselves "over there", as you suggest.
Won't the suspense over what's on the film drive you nutso if you DON'T convert it to a usable DVD medium? :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:57 am:

That's the truth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:16 am:

You could try another projector, they're not so expensive..
http://goo.gl/CwtxNw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:03 am:

You're right, that's a lot cheaper than conversion, but we're about to move house. She Who Must Be Obeyed will have a fit if I acquire more junk right now.

BTW, my VHS Player has a PAL/NTSC switch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration