Termnal question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Termnal question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Ok the car I'm working on is a 24 roadster and the wiring was replaced before I got it. It's new but I have a problem with it. I have no idea where it was ordered from or who made it so my commemt's can't be construed to any one in particular. It does work and for that I'm happy. I want to trim it up as some wires are to long. Can't do any thing about the ones that are too short. Where can I get the correct style of crimp in terminal ends?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

You might have to sort through but
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-electrical-wire-terminals/=z2exzi
they have the fittings without the modern plastic on them and these do look better on a "T"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Jerry, you might try Restoration Supply:

http://www.restorationstuff.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks Mike, I have one of their catalogs and will call them later this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Local & cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Excellent demonstration as usual, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:33 am:

That is exactly what I do too. You can sometimes find the terminals free from people cleaning out garages and such too. Just cut or pull the nylon cover off, solder and shrink wrap as Steve does.

If you do not know how to solder, it is worth learning. You'll wonder why you never learned before. I use a nice Weller butane powered solder iron (part# PS100K), it works fantastic and should be a tool for life (although after 20 years my first one died, but I use the heck out of it). Also use double wall shrink tubing, it is of a higher quality than the cheap stuff. They also have adhesive lined double wall shrink tubing that makes it a water proof connection but can be messier at times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:56 am:

http://www.tnb.com/ps/endeca/index.cgi?a=nav&pg=9&sp=1&N=318+1010+4294953244&Ne= &Ntt=&Ntk=&Ns=&grid=&parts=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:43 am:

The timer wires should have the "flag" type of terminals on both ends, like those shown in Steve's pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:26 am:

The blue insulators on modern terminals come off easily with a little heat from a propane torch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:16 am:

I depends on how anal you want to be. I heard there is a company making Ford V-8 looms that are supposed to have the correct terminals on the wires, but haven't investigated it. For stuff I want to keep really original, I reuse the original Ford terminals, but it is a lot of work. The method used above is a good one. I buy my terminals from YnZ's Yesterdays Parts in Redlands, California. They make reproduction wire looms, and have made a number of replacement looms for me, because the show quality looms available from the vendors are not show quality. I give them an original Ford loom, and they copy it exactly, even weaving in the Ford script tag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Taking off the blue insulator is how I did mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Now, about that plastic tape...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration