No magneto? No problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: No magneto? No problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wesley Freeman on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

I have a 1924 Model T chassis and motor I have recently purchased. The car has no magneto - the magnets and mag coils have been removed. The car starts and runs perfect on the battery. At some point in the future I will rebuild the magneto system - but in the short term I am considering replacing the generator with an alternator. I am keeping the current trembler coil set up...

Will this allow me to drive the car while maintaining the charge on the battery. I assume it will since this is the way modern cars operate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Yes, it will. But using a good generator will too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Your ignition performance will be reduced if you run on 6Volt. An Etimer will correct any ignition issues you will have. If you don't want to run an Etimer, 12volt is enough to correct the timing lag. 12 volt comes with other issues(light bulb replacement, starter replacement, charging issues)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wesley Freeman on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I was planning to run a 12 volt alternator/battery for the time being.

This project is starting from nearly scratch - the only electrical items at this time are the coils, generator and starter. I'm planning on starting it with the hand crank - so shouldn't be using the starter very often.

The plan is to build a speedster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Wesley,

" was planning to run a 12 volt alternator/battery for the time being."

Then go with the alternator. My post above assumed 6V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Wesley, This is a topic that will get many divided opinions. You can get great results from 12v or 6v items, the key is to make wise decisions in doing so. A generator can be setup to run 6 or 12 volts, as can starters--no need to purchase an ugly alternator which looks way out of place on a T--in my opinion. There are plenty of parts available (such as bulbs) to go either way so don't let the "you can not get 6 volt items" scare you.

That said, a properly functioning 6 volt Model T system will work just as well as 12 volts. I was gung ho on changing to 12 volts when I first got into T's, really there is no need for it in my opinion. I will also say I have a T doodlebug that has a distributor on 12 volts (all I had at the time) and it runs great---BUT I am changing it back this weekend to 6V and coils--because they work great and just as well.

Whatever you do, you need to make a decision because there are certain things that need to be done---or rather should be done going to 12v beside just a battery and bulbs. Search the forum and choose wisely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Wesley, You might look at an 8 volt battery. They are available. Faster starter, brighter lights ,no need to change anything but the generator setting. I use them in 3 of my Ts. Don

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration