OT - going to try gold & platnum prospecting ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - going to try gold & platnum prospecting ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Transport demand has slowed.

One of the benefits of traveling the country is meeting all types of folks from all walks of life.

Earlier this year I met a gentleman in the Pacific Northwest who lives in an area that has remarkable high concentrations of gold & platinum.

I think I will take some time & check out the prospects ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

How much does he want for the mineral rights? The only gold HE finds may be YOURS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Fascinating, best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

If you need money to by prospecting tools I'm not available BUT if you strike gold don't forget were best friends!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Was on a trip out West, camping with my brother.

We were camping close to Taylor Reservoir in the Colorado Elk Mountains, into which the Taylor River runs.

Some very wealthy person bought the mining rights along a stretch of the river, 3 or 4 miles worth, and closed it to the public, which was legal, since he owned the "rights" to the use of the land. Usually, such rights are from "ridge to ridge", so he basically owned that entire stretch of the valley.

He had people patrolling, and if they caught you fishing in "his" river, they prosecuted.

Go buy some mining rights!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Jim.

With your skills there might be some things that are less risky but I wish you the best of "luck"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

One of my cousins helped to pay for his college education by gold mining using a dredge in one of Califunny's rivers about 45 years ago. As I recall, he leased the mineral rights.
He did alright , though. He became an attorney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Thanks Fellas ....

This is a unique opportunity.

Very high yield from very low volume.

5 gallon bucket of tumbled material yields 2 to 3 ounces of gold - as much or more in platinum.

I have seen it with my own eyes.

If I proceed - I will keep you updated.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Well Jim, I wish you the best of luck. You do understand, I hope, that it will be necessary for you to sell or trade a truck or a T for a donkey. A donkey is required by the prospectors union. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Don't have the donkey but I do have the pan and carbide mining light! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Jim Your new hobby reminds me of a company that did gold dredging in the Sacramento area. When the price of gold went to nothing they stopped the operation and walked away from the dredge. A few years later the city or county turned the area into a park. After a few more years (after the price of gold went back up) a crew showed up and started working on the dredge. The Park officials then learned that no one bothered to check on the ownership of the dredge. Opps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Jim,
The best of luck to you...hope you strike it big.
Randy Glowacki , Parsippany NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Gold is down around $1100 an ounce. Hard to make any money in a commercial operation at that price. There are tons of small operations here and several large scale ones. If you decide you want to get in to it on a larger scale, I can point you to a couple trommels for sale, several shaker tables and tumblers and introduce you to the last people who went broke trying to find enough to make it worth while. Seriously, there are several small operations here that are very profitable. When gold was over $1500 a friend was banking $100,000 a month. After all expenses. And he was keeping the larger nuggets to sell as jewelry and for placer collections.

Make sure you stop in Helena some time and see the gold display at one of the banks up town. Gold is not just gold, it comes in lots of colors and shapes and forms. Worth a trip to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:00 am:

My place has gold on it, seen it, proven yield, and I have all the mineral rights. Keep telling myself that I should check it out, but in 10 years haven't really done anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:36 am:

I thought you guys were talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuZpp3G6ck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:43 am:

Given the price of the latest Minelab Gold detectors and the inability of the company to keep up with demand, someone, somewhere must be finding gold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Jim,

Sounds like a scam. Run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Jim

I've done more than my share of prospecting for gold and 2 to 3 oz of gold per bucket would make it the richest placer claim ever - anywhere.

Tell your friend you want to work the claim by hand for a few days and that you will give him all the gold you find. A cheap investment of your time to prove the claim. If he lets you - at the very least you will have some fun.

BTW unless you saw him actually collect that bucket of gravel ... it's easy to salt a sample.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Bud,

There is no financial investment involved on my part.

There is no salting going on.

The gentlemen had no idea there was gold & platinum on his property until a neighbor clued him in a few years ago.

There are many areas where gold & platinum exist that are not river beds - streams - low lying areas.

They are isolated and often unknown - hence the opportunity.

I literally stumbled on this earlier this year.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Being I live about a mile from the first known gold mine in the US of course I have been in the creeks surrounding it.I have not been panning in a while since i got hurt I am afraid I will slip and fall on the rocks.
But to me it was for relaxing more than profit. Never found anything big but I am sure it is there somewhere near where I found my sliver about 1/4 diameter.
I used a Garret gravity trap and a homemade screen.
Never got fancy with the sluce box and all.
Took a short handle pick and a short handle shovel and my pan and screen to the creek.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

And if it doesn't pan out, you could always be a Solid Gold dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuZpp3G6ck

Bet you'd look pretty sharp in an outfit like that ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

The first year I lived in Helena I was teaching school, 6th grade. The father of one of the girls in my class was digging a hole for a telephone pole in the Gulch where the first gold discovery was. A nugget the size of his thumb popped up from the auger and he grabbed it off the pile. Almost turned in to a law suit. Mountain Bell, which was the phone company he worked for, demanded it since he found it on company time. Big hue and cry in the newspaper about how unfair it was and he got to keep it.

There is still a lot of "wash" gold here that comes down the gravel streets on the south end of town. After a heavy rain you will see guys with a broom and pan sweeping up loose sand and dumping it in a bucket to take home and pan out. There are still a bunch of small placer operations running, most are at least some what a hobby but there are still good diggings here that yield pretty handsomely. This was, at one time, the richest city per capita in America because of the gold and silver. There is a big storm drain that runs under the main street, which is called Last Chance Gulch. For years there were sluice boxes running in the tunnel. After every storm there was gold in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 08:11 am:

It is amazing how much gold there is still left to be discovered out there.

Few of us have the time (or so we like to think) to spend looking for it.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Yes,

Even though Herman & Freida lived there they did not have the time either. What with all the chores involved with feeding the children, fixing the equipment, and just plain living, there was not much time for anything else.
How their lives could have been different if Freida had electrical appliances to help with the chores, and if Herman had power tools.

Ah - the good life of days gone by.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Stan,

Some say that winter and cold weather is coming again.

If the shop becomes too cold for the fingers to "do their thing" with the little carb pieces, any chance of another story or two being written in the warm house before next Spring ?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration