Why doesn't my door fit?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Why doesn't my door fit?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Petersen on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

So, I restored a late '23 Touring several years ago. But, I never had a chance to finish putting the doors on. There's a long reason for that, but needless to say it didn't get done. The Left rear door was in bad shape. The wood was rotted and mostly not there. So, I decided to just look for another original skin. I made new wood for it. But, when I went to install it, It was way too big. I mean at least 1 - 2" too tall and 1" to wide. It doesn't fit at all. I didn't see any alterations or weld marks on the body when I sanded it down to repaint. I am wondering if there is a difference in skins from early to late '23? Any ideas why it won't fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

With that big a difference,I'd venture you have a non-T door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

door skins are the same size + or - 1/8" from 1914 to 25. Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Charles just asking but is that the door that was on the car when you started to restore it?

Maybe when you acquired the car it was in pieces or partly together and the door came with it in the pile of parts.

Some T's or whats left of them are purchased that way. I had one that way.

The left and right rear doors are the same size.
The front left door (driver entry) door is a bit smaller.

Maybe you have a 26-27 Touring door. I believe they are a little bigger than the earlier doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:22 am:

While what Charlie S says is true, doors through those years vary quite a lot. In the earlier years (1914 through '21), bodies were built by several outside builders. The many parts of those bodies varied quite a bit from one builder to the next as well as from one year to the next. Ford themselves built most of the touring and runabout bodies after about 1920, so things like doors may thereafter have been a bit more consistent. I have been told that touring front and runabout doors are basically the same. But I have not personally checked that out. Touring rear doors have a right and a left. All of those '14 to '25 doors have very rounded bottom corners. The touring rear doors are a larger radius on the rearward corner. The '26/'27 touring and runabout doors are nearly square on the bottom corners. So they are not even close to fitting the earlier body.

How much do doors vary from one body to the next? I am currently restoring a 1915 runabout. It has one door. When I picked the body up from my very good friend, we checked three different front doors. Two didn't even come close to fitting in the body. My friend gave me the door that came closest to fitting. I also have a fourth door. It didn't quite fit either. I did get the door to fit okay (the one from my friend). It took heating and shrinking one corner. Heating and stretching the bottom. And heating and moving the hinge about a quarter inch. Plus a fair amount of shimming and tweaking. But I think it will work.
Yes, they are very close. A half inch here on this one, a quarter inch there on that one, a slight variation on the curve radius. Ah, the joys. I am glad my runabout has only one door to make fit.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration