Barn find

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Barn find
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shad Seibert on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Barn find, help with year and value please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Well, it looks like steel siding, so its got to be later than the 1970s. If it was all wood it would be older. Im not a barn expert though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

But Ed, it still has the original dirt floor so the steel siding might just be a later repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Shad, it would help if we could see more of the car. It is difficult to see the fender shape with so much covered. From what little I can see of the rear fender, I'm guessing 1926 or 27. As to value, can't see enough to evaluate condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

1926 or 27 Fordor. They had a lot of wood in the body. No telling what the engine is like from a photo. If the wood was solid and it ran well it might sell for $6,000. With engine problems and wood problems $1,000 might be too much.
Just an opinion.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shad Seibert on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Always a couple of funny guys in the crowd .
Thanks for the help John, this gem has been sitting inside for about 20 years. Ran when parked. Hoping to purchase and bring her back to life

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Nice find. Pay special attention to the body wood. If the doors want to fall off when you open them, there is work to be done. You should probably count on spending a bunch of cash getting all the glass replaced with safety glass. It is likely original plate glass and sitting in that car in modern traffic would make me feel like a frog in a blender. Looks like the top will need some work too. Richard is right on the values. It's all about condition. This car is one of the heaviest T's made, so don't plan stellar performance without some upgrades, but they are a nice ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Looks like large drum rear end. That would make it '26 or '27, unless somebody put Rockies on it, or later rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Looks to me like a 1925 Fordor with 26/27 rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:43 am:

Serial number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 02:02 am:

What is that thing stuck to the rear quarter panel? Some kind of antenna? It's a 26/27 car, judging by the shape of the rear fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shad Seibert on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:42 am:

I'm heading over to inspect today. I will look for the serial number. Any problem areas I should focus on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Well at least it looks like it hasn't been outside and rotting down.
I guess you could say its a modern barn find.

Barn is not old and crumbing.

After a closer inspection it might be an older redo or partial restoration done in the 70's and was left to sit.

My opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:04 am:

I was wondering about that thing too, Erik. It almost looks like some kind of residential electrical box.
Are the hood and radiator missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:19 am:

could have wood borers, they like T wood. Look for small holes in the wood. You can count on a bundle to replace those tires and tubes. If the car is as solid as it looks, would make a great car to start on. You could plan of several hundred dollars in coil work, new radiator core and either RM brakes or the modern hyd disc conversion as well as the glass (which if plate is unsafe)already mentioned to make this car a safe and reliable driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:40 am:

There's no way to tell just looking at it whether it's structurally and mechanically sound, or a colossal money pit. At the very least, jack the front off the ground, grab a wheel, and give it a good shake to see if everything is properly tight. (Take a jack with you in case there isn't one.) When you do this, note whether the wheels wobble (worn bearings and/or spindle pins), steering parts and shackles are loose (worn out parts and bushings), etc. Same in the rear. With the wheels off the ground, check for up & down play in the wheels (bearings) and in & out (thrust washers). Checking in & out play won't tell you those washers are OK, but it should let you know if they've gone to pieces.

The best thing you can do is take an experienced Model T hand to help you check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Shad

My barn find sat for 55 years and I got it running without any major problems - so it's possible that you may have a good find if the price is right.

Realize that at the very, very best, you'll have another $2000 or so in it to get it in driveable condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Shad,

I sent you a private message. If you need help just holler.

aloso@q.com
320-293-1953

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shad Seibert on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Engine is not frozen up. Doors open up with out sagging down, I couldn't tell if the glass had been replaced, looks to be originally green paint, that someone has painted over. The gizmo on the rear corner is a magnetic block heater, Inside looks mostly complete. Shook down the front and back Axles did not notice anything major loose. Made the old feller an offer, just waiting for him to ponder. Hood and rad are there.
Where is the serial numbers located?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Engine serial number is stamped above the water inlet on the left side of the block. If the car was made December 12, 1925, or later, it should also be on top of the right frame rail (but sometimes on the left rail), under the floor board. If the two numbers match, the car has its original engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

Tires? Buried like they are will be rotten. They look like 21 inch wheels. Spokes?? The back window is larger than my 25. Fun project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Shad , the car looks pretty decent , you will put time and some money in it , at least hours is inside , the Tudor that I bought last October had been sitting outside covered with tarps for at least 15 years and was licensed last in 1952 . My 9 year old and I spent a few weeks and a few hundred bucks and had it running around the farm on its own power ! Don't be discouraged , check out the safety and obvious mechanicals and enjoy an awesome car !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration