Period speedster chassis find.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Period speedster chassis find.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

I dragged this home over the weekend.

It is a Model A engine on a T chassis.
The Model A engine turns an old street car trolley motor to generate power. Much of the wiring was stolen off it by copper thieves, but up until recently it was a functioning mobile arc-welder. It hasn't run in a few years now.

The reason I wanted it was the modified T chassis under it which was an old dirt track racer at one time.

Z'd frame

Front spring mount.

Split wishbone

Chevy spindles

It is shortened to 88" wheelbase,

I have been collecting parts for a speedster, and won't start building it for a while yet, but thought it was too cool not to share.

I realize I could duplicate these modifications to another frame I already have in less time than it would take to repair this one, but I'm really trying to stick to authentic parts for this project. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Your chief inspector has grown a lot since I last saw him. Where his brother? Thought he would be in the middle of this too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:35 am:

AJ doesn't get as excited about hauling home loads of junk as Cale does. He's more interested in tractors and farm equipment than cars.

I took Cale to his first swap meet on Sunday and he loved it. He has been helping in the shop quite a bit lately too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:59 am:

i think the gas tank is off a john Deere mod l. i know a guy that may need it,if you will let it go.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Good score! There's really nothing more fun than a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Does anyone else think that frame is a bit too far gone to safely use for a car, given that you can get a good one for fifty bucks or less? Just transfer the special parts to a better one. All original T parts are authentic. That one has a lot of holes and bogus welds. If the car has known history or provenance, that would be important to preserve. With time and care, this one could, but make it safe to drive. What is the smaller motor/generator on top of the streetcar traction motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Erik, Derek has been involved with mechanics and racing long enough to fully understand what he's got. I speculate whatever he does with his purchase it will be strong and safe enough for him and his family to enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

It's on the edge of being savable, but I think it's worth trying anyway. My biggest concern is the welds for the big plate in the middle possibly making it brittle in those areas.

I will reassess its condition when I get the welds all cut loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

As much as I am a peservananist, I have trouble wanting this to exist more as yard art. Terrible welding and animal construction. Lots of neat machinery that could be saved...even a model A engine. One could spend a lot of time cleaning this frame up and still have nothing. Certainly not a good speedster frame. Forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

That was supposed to be *preservationist*...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Good for you Derek K for wanting to resurrect an original. As we all know, most speedsters today are modern-builds. Sadly, most of the original speedsters and race cars from the '20s that managed to survive the WWII scrap drives were parted out in the '50s and '60s to use the parts for "proper" restorations. Most early hobbyists did not appreciate the automotive history sideline of speedsters or home-made race car building.
All the bad welds on that one do make it a bit dicey? But I think with some good cleanup and maybe a bit of reworking, it could be a very good original race car frame.
I have restored six speedster/race cars so far. Intact original cars are rare. But original speedster bits and pieces are still not hard to come by. Most of mine I have managed to use a good proportion of original speedster parts (along with parts I made mixed in).
That sure looks like a good project to me!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Derek

For the race track or a hill climber an 88" wheel base is good. That said I wouldn't want to take a trip in a speedster with that short of wheel base, the ride is not that good, or maybe I am just older and my body can't take the pounding.
15 minutes in an 88" wheel base is about all I can take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Derek,

I like your find! And great to see your helper is with you. Note the Model N,R,S,&SR Fords had an 84 wheel base and to me, they ride very similar to a cut off Model T with clincher tires. A rough ride by today's modern cars but not that much different than a Model T. And yes, as I grow older I seem to notice the ride gets rougher sooner than it used to.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration