Ujoint Grease

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ujoint Grease
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:56 am:

What grease are you putting in your Ujoint and how much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Any grease is much better than none :-)
I put a lot in there since I drive fast and I know a guy who had his u-joint fail when speeding, perhaps he didn't fill as often as he should. You know it's full when it oozes out. It's hard to fill it with the original cup, one way to make it easier is to put a modern grease fitting inside the cup and fill with a grease gun.

Since I don't have any magnets inside I'm not afraid to use molybdenum grease - but I think it's a slim chance it'll migrate into the engine, so I wouldn't be much afraid to use it even if I had magnets & coils inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Thanks Roger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

I like the red Mobil grease. It is labeled a synthetic, which is sort of misleading since all the components are petroleum based. Synthetic greases are made using processes other than (but including) refinery operations.

In any case it tends to stay where you put it, lubricate well, and is not affected by water. Good stuff, a great value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

High Temp wheel bearing grease. The red stuff. I use my finger and pack gobs of it in through the cup prior to each tour. I probably pack about a golf ball size wad in the housing and then fill the cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

High temp wheel bearing grease

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 02:57 am:

I think what all of you are doing is fine, but it believe CV joint grease will do the job better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Aaron, could you explain the difference? I'm looking for a good grease for my u-joint also. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:30 am:

It looks like everyone is saying the same thing. Mobil 1 red synthetic grease is a high temp disc break wheel bearing grease, and it is superior for spherical (CV) joints or anywhere on any car that needs grease for any reason. It works great in Model T timers too!

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is an NLGI No 2 high-performance automotive grease which combines a synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener. The thickener system provides a high dropping point, while additives impart optimum extreme-pressure properties and excellent resistance to water wash, and outstanding protection against rust and corrosion. Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease has excellent structural stability. The synthetic base oil used in Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease gives it excellent performance properties at both high and low temperatures. High structural shear stability coupled with a high performance base oil make Mobil 1 Synthetic an outstanding automotive grease.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease provides the following advantages and benefits:

Features

Advantages and Potential Benefits

All-purpose automotive service Certified to the NLGI GC-LB specifications for both chassis and wheel bearing lubrication
Wide Operating range -40 C (- 40 F) to 150 C (302 F)
Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion Longer life of bearings and chassis lube points
Outstanding structural stability Ability to provide effective lubrication over extended periods of time
Excellent wear protection under heavy loads Provides bearing protection while cornering and other conditions where bearings temporarily experience heavy loads.
Excellent resistance to water wash Withstands the effects of water washout from heavy rain storms or other high water wash events.

Applications

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease meets the requirements of the National Lubricating Grease institute (NLGI) performance classification GC-LB. It is recommended for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures. It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings and ball and steering joints. It will provide outstanding bearing protection under heavy loads at any highway speed, and where moisture or condensation is a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:48 am:

I use the stuff Lang's sells, the red, Timken's hi-temp wheel-bearing grease.

Two things are important: First is, keep that UV-joint well greased. _Too much is better than too little.

The other thing is, don't mix different types or brands of grease. _If you mix two incompatible types, the grease will slowly break down to a useless red slime. _I did that once and it leaked out all over my Model T's parking-brake shoes. _It also leaked out of the grease-gun all over the garage floor. _Quite a mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

I use plain old chassis grease. It is light, easy to pack in the bulb, but thin enough to get in and lube those joints. It takes about a half a can of the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

The CV joint grease usually comes in a small container like a large tooth paste tube.
It is very thin but not thin enough to pour.
Sounds like the Mobil one red grease is the stuff to use, according to what Royce posted.
If it is just thick enough so it doesn't run out it is good for where ever you are using it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration